All about Lee Dong Gun

[Copy link]
 Author| Post time 17-11-2006 10:39 AM | Show all posts
lagi pictures dari album ke 2, Much More
credits to sis quels dari www.donggundomain.com

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 17-11-2006 01:05 PM | Show all posts
ini pulak pasal drama pertama dia.. Ad Madness (1999)
-----credits to koreanwiz.org-----

KBS drama (1999) - 36 episodes
For KBS website in Korean, click here.
Aired in Korea:  Oct. 21, 1999 - Jan.13, 2000
on KBS2 Thursday nights 7:05- 8:00
Not shown in Hawaii.
Shown in Singapore:  2002

Cast:
Yoon Sung-yun [Cheng Xuen]:  Choi Kang Hee (Yoon-ah in This Is Love)
Kang Min [Jiang Min]:  Won Bin (Tae-suhk in Autumn Story)
Hwang Dae-ju [Huang Da Chu]:  Yang Dong Geun
Jin Dal-lae [Siao Ke]:  Kim Hyun Jung
Kim Woo-chan:  Kang Sung Min
__ [Ru Ru]:  Bae Doo Na (Chan-mi in Mothers & Sisters)
__[Lee Dong]:  Lee Dong Gun
__ [Xin Yu Zhai]:  Jang Su Won  
__ [Lee Ai Ling]:  Kim Seo Yeon  

For cast information in Korean, go to: www.
kbs.co.kr/drama/maniac/actor.htm (you can see the autographs of some of the stars).  The character's names in Mandarin are shown above in brackets.

Introduction using Mandarin names of characters*: This drama is about a group of students taking a course in advertising.  Each member of the group has distinct characteristics.  Ru Ru is a boyish girl from a broken wealthy family.  Lee Dong and Cheng Xuen are excellent students and childhood friends.  Jiang Min is an orphan who takes over his late father's photo shop to make a living.  Siao Ke is a happy-go-lucky girl who is quite childish, loves comics and lives with her lecturer aunt (Miss Wu).  Huang Da Chu is playful and likes to woo girls.  Later, they will be joined by other cast members:  Chi Hung, Yu Fang, Ai Ling and Yu Zhai.  Watching this drama, you'll see the cheery and bumpy life of students.

Summary* (caution:  spoiler alert):  

The story tells of how the students overcome their differences, forge a strong friendship and despite facing obstacles, they work together to achieve their goals, usually to complete the assignments given by their lecturers, Miss Wu and Mr. Kim.  Besides a story of friendships, there's also an on-going love triangle between Lee Dong, Cheng Xuen and Jiang Min. Who'll end up with who?

die berlakun sama2 ngan wonbin yg mase ni rambut panjang..

[ Last edited by  ldg at 17-11-2006 01:31 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 17-11-2006 03:24 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by ldg at 17-11-2006 10:29 AM
lagi pictures dari album ke 2, Much More
credits to sis quels dari www.donggundomain.com

aiseh, sekali pandang, nampak cam girl jer .. :lol

Dua kali pandang, nampak cam org Jepun ...

Use magic Report

Post time 17-11-2006 03:28 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by ldg at 17-11-2006 01:05 PM
ini pulak pasal drama pertama dia.. Ad Madness (1999)

KBS drama (1999) - 36 episodes
For KBS website in Korean, click here.
Aired in Korea:  Oct. 21, 1999 - ...

Tak tengok lagi ler cerita ni... baru jer pinjam Limau nak burn ... heheh :nyorok:
Sekali lagi tengok LDG berlakon jadi second hero ... :jeling:

Use magic Report

Post time 17-11-2006 03:56 PM | Show all posts
Wallpaper Lee Dong Gun ... :love:

Use magic Report

Post time 17-11-2006 04:05 PM | Show all posts
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_Rq ... 314/EXP=1163836870/**http%3a//img.sbs.co.kr/newimg/tv2004/etc/image_up/004_1024.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_Rt ... 9r0/EXP=1163837447/**http%3a//img.sbs.co.kr/newimg/tv2004/etc/image_up/005_1024.jpg

wallpaper Stained Glass ...

@-- credit to sbs.co

[ Last edited by  im_comey at 17-11-2006 04:16 PM ]

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 17-11-2006 04:19 PM | Show all posts
Alamak ai, gambar tak nak keluar ler pulak ... :geram:

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-11-2006 05:53 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by im_comey at 17-11-2006 03:24 PM

aiseh, sekali pandang, nampak cam girl jer .. :lol

Dua kali pandang, nampak cam org Jepun ...

kekekeke... jgn awak aje, saye pun rase camtuk gak.... hahahahaaaaa...

cian die, ade bace interview ramai org kate die macam tuh, sampai die posing pong terpakse control gitu, bia napok macho!!!

nanti cari interview satu lagi yg kate die paling *beautiful* dlm Lovers in Paris & Stained Glass, kaloh KJE & KHN, heroin cite tuh... parahhhhh parahhh....

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 17-11-2006 06:19 PM | Show all posts
jumpe dah interview ni..
-----credits to soompi-----

This is one of the interviews with Lee Donggun which I came across while surfing the web, I think this was done sometimes in late 2004 or early 2005. It gave an insight into his journey from that of a singer to an actor.

Interview with Lee Donggun

With Romance in Paris and the following SBS drama series Yuriwha airing every Wednesday and Thursday, Lee Dong-gun, 24, is now one of the most popular stars in Korea. He will make his actual big screen debut in a romantic comedy My Boyfriend`s Blood Type B, which is directed by Choi Seok-won and scheduled to open on February 4 (cameo appearance in Family of 2002). Young-bin, the role he plays in the movie, is blood type B and is calculating enough to take back the roses he gave as a present and resell them. He shows eccentric moves to win the heart of Nami, a timid girl of blood type A played by Han Ji-hye.

I met Lee Dong-gun at a cafe in Gangnam, southern part of Seoul. He said, I am actually blood type A, who is hurt easily by the small mistake of the one I love. Unexpectedly, he was straightforward.

Although you are known to have suffered a lot after making your debut as a singer in 1998, people tend to think that you succeeded overnight probably because of your affluent looks.
A long period as a no-name entertainer and sudden success would have been easier to me. Frequent ups and downs wore me out. My popularity dropped suddenly after some spotlight was given to me when I debuted as a singer, and I treaded downhill after some attention with my appearance in a sitcom Three Friends, which was when I was about to quit my career as a singer. This is the third time going uphill in my career. I just feel that there is nothing to fear this time.

You are right. Frequent ups and downs are annoying. It is as if you are stripped of something that you were given before.

Lee Dong-geon is strained from the killer schedule, which allows him no more than one to two hours of sleep, busily working with the near- complete movie and the drama Yuriwha shootings at the same time. He said, I am concerned that my eyes may seem blank because of weight loss, dark circles (the dark area underneath the eyes), and larger pupils.

Wasn't your acting skill obscured by your good looks
I have heard this before. I recall somebody telling me, your face overshadowed your music and acting. However, these are all excuses. It is nonsense. My appearance should have been a multiple plus if I really was good at singing and acting. People tend to say those words when your talents are uncertain but your looks are good. I could have evoked something that Yang Dong-geon, Lee Na-young, and Kong Hyo-jin in Ruler of Your Own World (MBC drama of 2002) could not have, had I acted as well as them. However, I fell far short of them.

Among all the cast, you seem to be the most beautiful? character both in Romance in Paris and Yuriwha.
I am flattered by that word beautiful as opposed to pretty or handsome. It may be because of my role in the drama series. I was always the one to be hurt the most and the one to love the most at the same time.

Perhaps because of your pretty face, you seem to make good couples with easygoing and outgoing female roles.
I am not good at socializing, so it gets difficult when the one to play my opposite is also timid. I have big insecurity about my looks. I was told so many times since childhood that I look like a girl. I have changed a little bit these days, though. I grew a beard, use my fist instead of palm when cupping my chin in my hands, and so on to look like a man, paying attention to the smallest poses.

Lee Dong-gun cited Choi Min-soo, Lee Jeong-jin, and Cho Han-seon as the best looking actors, adding, it's the masculine looks that counts.

What would you say about your female partners in the shows.
I really can't say much about Miss Kim Ha-neul (the Glass Painting). Hmm. She seems very professional and profound. Miss Kim Jeung-eun (SBS Lovers in Paris) is comfortable to be around. She is very considerate. Miss Han Ji-hye (KBS2 Nangrang (Sweet) 1 makes people happy just being with her. She would offer a bright smile no matter how tired she is, and that single smile embraces everyone else.

A little more charisma seems to be in order in your acting or appearance.
Actors are like sword fighters with different weapons. People consider a sword that will slash the other in half with one sharp and fierce stroke, but it's alll an id fixe. I just have a different form of a sword, very minute but delicate. I do not have a set of piercing eyes to overwhelm the opponent. My eyes are droopy, and they are gentle. But my eyes have the sorrow and pain that can make the audience silently wet their eyes.

You ultimately chose acting over singing.
With the exception of the recent couple years when I gained much attention, I was neither a singer nor an actor. Some generously gave me the title of all-round entertainer, but trying out anything and everything does not make someone an all-round player. I tried everything there was, but what was left was Lee Dong-gun with now an elaborate title to follow. I clenched my jaws and decided to become the actor. Started out with the idea of being the number 1.

When I was singing, I did everything to avoid having to act because I feared it will hurt my career in recording, but, in the end, it was the sitcom Three Friends that let people know of my name. Acting was something that came back to me even more persistently as I refused time and time again. I dreamt of singing, but acting might just be my destiny.

You are enjoying one of the greatest popularity. What troubles you.
I lost so much over the last two years. All I have left are my characters in the feature productions. All this guy named Lee Dong-gun did until 25 since he was 23 was filming in studios. There is something missing in a corner of my heart that is suffocating and driving me crazy. Having a shot of soju in covered wagons and giving a bouquet of roses to a lover. I miss those little blessings. I would like to have them back.

Are you involved in any relationship?
(with a bit of hesitance) No. When I do find someone, I don't want to be envisaged as someone who's done a bad thing, like other celebrities. I will face the world with dignity and love with all my heart. I will enjoy my life. I want to confine my public activities to one production of a movie, and I want to move away from my acting career for a bit. I want to get back my lost 25-year-old self.

[ Last edited by  ldg at 17-11-2006 07:19 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-11-2006 07:53 PM | Show all posts
skrg ni pulak drama Friends (2002) ngan Wonbin skali lagi..
-----credits to www.koreanwiz.org-----

Friends

MBC Productions (Korea) /TBS (Japan) drama (2002)- 4 episodes
Aired on MBC in Korea:  Feb. 15, 2002 (epsiodes 1 & 2) and February 16, 2002 (epsiodes 3 & 4) at 9:55 p.m.
Aired on KIKU-TV in Hawaii:  May 10 & 17, 2003 (Saturday nights) from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. Due to a power outage on 5/17/03, KIKU TV rebroadcasted Part 2 on 5/24.
Re-aired on KIKU-TV in Hawaii:  Nov. 1 (Part 1) and 8 (Part 2), 2003 at 8:00 - 10:00 p.m.

Cast:
Kim Ji-hun:  Won Bin (Autumn Story)
Asai Tomoko: Fukada Kyoko
Park Kyung-ju (Ji-hoon's friend/roommate):  Lee Dong Gun (Ling Ling)
Park Hye-jin (Kyung-ju's younger sister who likes Ji-hun):  Han Hye Jin (Romance)
Son __ (Ji-hun's upperclassman):  Kim Chul Gi
Sakamaki Shouta (Tomoko's co-worker who likes her): Ozawa Yukiyoshi
Yamagishi Yuko (Tomoko's friend/co-worker):  Yada Akiko
Kaneda Midori (Tomoko's "Korean" classmate):  Toda Naho
Tomoko's boss:  Kondo Yoshimasa
Tomoko's mom:  Take#a Keiko
Ji-hun's dad:  Lee Ho Jae  
Ji-hun's mom:  Sun Woo Eun Sook (Autumn Story)
Ji-hun's aunt in Hong Kong:  Choi Ran (This Is Love/Pretty Lady)   

Synopsis

Left alone on a trip to Hong Kong, Tomoko finds herself the victim of a purse-snatching. The police arrest the man she points out, but it turns out to be the wrong person: a young Korean man named Ji Hoon. Despite his anger and humiliation, he takes her out to dinner since she has lost all her money, and in return she agrees to model for his amateur film. What follows is a magical and romantic two days. Upon returning to their respective countries, Tomoko must return to her nine to five job and Ji Hoon must resume studying to join the family business rather than pursuing his dream of becoming a film director. But soon the two begin to email each other and rekindle their relationship despite the distance and obstacles between them. Marking the very first time in television history that a drama has been co-produced between Japan and South Korea, the story shows us that love has no borders.

ini pulak gambor2 ldg oppa dlm cite ni...

[ Last edited by  ldg at 17-11-2006 08:00 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-11-2006 08:02 PM | Show all posts
ini ade lagi.... dari cite sama..

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-11-2006 08:04 PM | Show all posts
dan lagi...

oppa nyanyi.... :love:

Use magic Report

Post time 17-11-2006 08:32 PM | Show all posts

Reply #29 ldg's post

Patut ler dia simpan janggut .. sbb tak nak dikatakan sbg lelaki yg beautiful lagi ... :lol

Use magic Report

Post time 17-11-2006 08:34 PM | Show all posts

Suara Lee Dong Gun oppa memang sedap time dia nyanyi dlm cerita nih ... :love:

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-11-2006 09:45 PM | Show all posts
ini cite Ring Ring / Ling Ling (MBC 2002) - drama pendek

tapi sinopsis tak jumpe.. bile jumpe nanti kite tepek kat sini.. Lee Da Hea yg berlakun My Girl tu pun ade.. die pun berlakun skali ngan ldg dlm Sweet 18

Ling Ling

MBC Special (2002)- 2 episodes
For MBC homepage for this drama in Korean, go to:  www.imbc.com/tv/drama/ringring/
index.html.
Aired on MBC in Korea:  Sept. 11 and 12, 2002 at 9:55 p.m.
Aired on KBFD-TV in Hawaii:  March 7 and 8, 2003 (Friday & Saturday) at 7:50 p.m.  (replaced Kitchen Maid)   

Cast:
Wang Ling-ling (wannabe singer):  Han Sya Oh
Ha Tae-hoon (composer):  Lee Dong Gun (Friends)
Hong-gi:  Jung Tae Woo (Wang Guhn)
Song Eun-ha:  Lee Da Hye
Hong-gi's mom:  Kim Hyung Ja (Since We Met)
Choi Sa-rang:  Ha Yoo Mi (Destiny)
Bae Shil-jang:  Kim Se Joon (Four Sisters/Delicious Proposal/Snowflakes)
Kwang-dok:  Jun Dae Byung
Ae-ri:  Kang Bo Ra
Weon-ching:  Yoo Yong Shin
Kyung-mi:  Park Sung Eun
Yangachi 1:  Noh Haeng Chul
Yangachi 2:  Ham Jae Suk
Na-na:  Choi Yoon Young
Di-di:  Lee Hee Young
MC:  Kim Chul Soo   

gambar2 ldg oppa dlm cite ni & pelakun2 lain

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-11-2006 09:48 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by im_comey at 17-11-2006 08:34 PM

Suara Lee Dong Gun oppa memang sedap time dia nyanyi dlm cerita nih ... :love:

:setuju::setuju::setuju:

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 17-11-2006 11:28 PM | Show all posts
ini satu lagi detail profile ldg oppa... ambil sebahagian yang belum ade kat page 1

Profile of Lee Dong Gun

Hobbies-
Jet-skiing, playing starcraft and other computer games, basketball, snowboarding, listening to music, driving

Special Talents-
Has a motorcycle license, singing, playing piano, guitar and jazz drums, currently learning Japanese, speaks a little English, learnt German in high school, Kendo

Childhood dream-
To make music, didn't care if he wrote or sang it, wanted to create beautiful music

Ideal woman-
Doesn't care about height or hairstyle, is attracted by a beautiful smile and a bright happy personality. Likes feminine women (especially with long black hair)

First Love-
His high school tutor

Past relationship-
Went out with Kim Min Jung, from 2002-2004 (1 ? years), after starring with her in MBC best cinema The thought of wearing rubber shoes on the wrong way- 고무신 거꾸로 신은 이유에 대한 상상(gomushin kko goo ro shineun ee yu ae dae han sang sang)

Favourite foods-
Eats mostly everything, especially likes Korean food- likes food with meat in it. Kimchi jigae etc.

Likes-
Sports cars- ferrari, lamborghini, etc. Current favourite car- Porsche Cayenne
Motorbikes

Dislikes-
Chocolate- used to have an allergy to it, but still doesn? like or eat it. Also doesn't really eat sweets or snack products

Complexes about himself-
Doesn't like how only one side of his mouth goes up when he smiles
Doesn't like his croopy eyes that have dark circles under them a lot
Wishes that his lips were a bit thinner. Describes his lips as boondae Korean sausage lips
Failed singing career

Bad habits-
Smoking
Snoring
Swearing when with friends

Close celebrity friends-
*이지훈 (Lee Ji Hoon)
*엄정화 (Uhm Jung Hwa)
*최창민 (Choi Chang Min)
*김민종 (Kim Min Jong)
*류시원 (Ryu Shi Won)
*한지혜 (Han Ji Hye)
*조장혁 (Jo Jang Hyuk)

What saddens him most-
His mother crying

Greatest turning point-
Giving up on his dream of being a singer and concentrating on acting

Education-
Dae Gok Primary School(대곡 초등학교)
Dae Chong Middle School (대청 중학교)
Hwi Moon Senior School (휘문 고등학교)
Seoul Performing Arts University [서울예술대학(졸업)]- graduated
Hanyang University [한양대학교(연극영화과재학)]-Currently in the Film/ movie degree

Debut-
Auditioned for Kim Hyung Suk-김형석 ? a songwriter who suggested that he become a solo artist.
1997 as a singer, released album Time to Fly [Wonderful Beginning- 아름다운 시작 (Ah reum da woon shi jak)]

MC and DJ
1998- SBS 인기가요 20 MC (Inkigayo 20)
2000- SBS 멋진만남 MC (mot jin man nam)
2000- KBS 자유선언 MC (Ja yu sun on)
2000- SBS 뮤직엔터 MC (Music enter)
2000- MBC FM 라디오 "클릭 1020" DJ (radio ?lick 1020? DJ)

CF
2000 Vimm? Outfitters catalogue
2000 Haitai Ice cream
2000 Himart 3 part CF
2003 Ottogi noodles
2004 Orion peanut squid biscuits
2004 HUM fashion label main catalogue model
2004 Cambridge Brentwood catalogue model
2004 Favore Shopping mall
2004 Lotte Wellbeing jelly drink
2004 Nespot Swing phone
2004 - 2005 GS E-Shopping
2005 Cambridge Brentwood catalogue model - continued

Website-
http://leedonggun.istar.co.kr

Lee Dong Gun personal cyworld
http://cyworld.nate.com/gunbal21

Lee Dong Gun Blog for Nespot Swing
http://blog.naver.com/swingguy.do

Fan Letter Address
SEOUL, KOREA
135-090 (post code 135-090)
168-21(seoul shi gangnamgu samsungdong 168-21)
(sok kwang building 5th floor)
(Istar cinema- To Lee Dong Gun)

Official fan sites
http://cafe.daum.net/leedonggun
http://cafe.daum.net/donggunazooms

Compilation of profile from
http://leedonggun.istar.co.kr, http://cafe.daum.net/leedonggun,
http://gentor.co.kr, and my own notes from his interviews.

credit : lunagal/soompi.com (@LDG Thread)

[ Last edited by  ldg at 17-11-2006 11:36 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 18-11-2006 12:04 AM | Show all posts
drama seterusnya

Ruler of Your Own World (2002, MBC miniseries)
-----Reviewed by il_mare at www.spcnet.tv-----

Ne Meosdaero Haera aka Ruler of Your Own World

MBC Wed/Thur Miniseries (2002)- 20 episodes
For MBC homepage for this drama in Korean, go to: www.imbc.com/tv/drama/willfully/index.html
Aired on MBC in Korea: July 3, 2002 - Sept. 5, 2002 on Wednesday &
Thursday nights at 9:55.pm

Cast:
Ko Boksu (26): Yang Dong Geun
Jun Kyung (25): Lee Na Young (Have we really loved?)
Han Dong-jin (30): Lee Dong Gun (Sweet 18/Sang-doo, let's go to school)
Song Mi-rae (27): Gong Hyo Jin (Snowman/Sang-doo, let's go to school)
Ko Joong-sup (60): Shin Goo (Sang-doo, let's go to school)
Jung Yoo-soon (50): Yoon Yeo Jung (This Is Love/Hotelier)
Jun Nak-kwan (61): Jo Kyung Hwan (All-in)
Kang In-ok (55): Lee Hye Sook
Jun Kang (35): Lee Se Chang (Lovers in Paris)
Director Yang Chan-suk : Jung Doo Hong
Detective Park Jung-dal (43): Kim Myung Kook
Ko Boong-yi (20): Huh In Bum
Song Hyun-ji (15): Jun Hye Jin
Ki Hong: Kim Jae Wook
Jung Kook: Kim Jae Man

For more information (in Korean) about the cast, go to: www.imbc.com/tv/drama/willfully/html/peo_01.html.

Staff:
Writer: In Jung Wook
Producer: Park Sung Soo

For MBC Videos on Demand (VODs) in Korean for this drama, go to: www.imbc.com/tv/drama/willfully/htmlvod.html

For MBC photos from this drama, go to:
www.imbc.com/tv/drama/willfully/html/photo01.html

To listen to the drama music, go to: www.imbc.com/tv/drama/willfully/html/ost_1.html.

This review is possible because of totuta! Please visit his excellent ROYOW homepage at www.royow.wo.to

Synopsis:

Kyung is the keyboardist of an indie rock band trying to break into the music industry. Boksu is a petty pickpocket who has just been released from prison.

Kyung's family is well-to-do as her father operates a hotel chain, and her married brother runs a successful used-car company. But she is the outcast of her family as her father is unhappy with her choice of profession.

Boksu's parents are separated and he lives with his father. He shares a close relationship with his father, who is a bus driver. Boksu manages to find his mother and buys a small take-away shop (with the money he stole from pick-pocketing) for her to support herself and his half-brother.

The lead singer of Kyung's band becomes ill and needs money urgently for a life saving operation. The band decids to use the funds they saved for first album to save their band member. Kyung withdraws the money from the bank but her bag is pick-pocketed by Boksu at the bus stop. This event indirectly results in the death of the band's lead singer as she was not operated in time.

Boksu has a girlfriend Mirae, who works as a cheerleader for the baseball team of a large corporation. She loves him unconditionally and is a loud and dominating character. But since Boksu meets Kyung, he becomes uncontrollably drawn to her and tries to get close to her.

At the same time, Kyung meets Mr Han and starts to date the charming and well-to-do journalist. However, the more she gets to know Boksu, the more Kyung finds herself drawn to Boksu instead. Although she finds out that Boksu was the pickpocket who stole from her and caused her friend's death, she can't suppress her feelings for Boksu.

Boksu finds out that he has a life-threatening tumor in his head, and decides to change his ways and lead a different life. He becomes inspired by a stunt director and decides to become a stuntman. He also decides to break-up with Mirae to be with the woman he loves deeply, Kyung.

As Boksu and Kyung find love in each other, they also learn about life and love from and of their friends and their family.

ldg oppa in this drama...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 18-11-2006 12:11 AM | Show all posts
actress ni pun berlakun ngan ldg oppa dlm Sangdoo Let's Go to School

ni ade sket gambo ldg... kecik2 aje..

[ Last edited by  ldg at 18-11-2006 12:13 AM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 18-11-2006 09:11 AM | Show all posts
patut la ldg oppa kate lakunan die kat sini tak sebagus 3 lead casts yang lain.. ini jumpe ROYOW review credits to www.koreanfilm.org.... takde pun mention oppa... hihihi.. tapi takpe, i still lup u....

Ruler of Your Own World (2002, MBC miniseries)

They're called "Mania" Dramas. TV Series that, for many reasons --including their competition with top rated shows, or lack of major stars-- fail to capture the masses, but manage to slowly build a faithful audience which supports the show until the end. Ruler of Your Own World might be one of the best examples yet. This is a different show, far away from the diabolical convolutions and contrivances of the prototypical TV melodrama --like, say Winter Love Song-- far away from the usual weepy, over the top atmosphere. Far away from stereotypical characters.

Sin Goo (die ni yang jadi lelaki nak balas dendam dalam MISA tu)

There are no major stars here, but everyone down to the smallest supporting character does an excellent job. If Shin Koo's superb performance as Bok-su's father is no surprise, the real find is Yang Dong-geun and his partner Lee Na-young.

Yang Dong-geun

After a career as a child actor, Yang slowly built his acting skills thanks to important roles in films like Kim Ki-duk's Address Unknown, and started to become popular after appearing in the hit TV sitcom New Nonstop. Following his successful turn in the nostalgic dork comedy Bet on My Disco, he started to get recognition from both the public and critics. His portrayal of Ko Bok-su is fantastic. He swings between the character's innocent naivete and guilt for his past with ease. You can really relate with his problems, being a simple task like showing his parole officer that he's a changed man, or a big one like accepting Jeon Kyung's (Lee Na-young) affection. Yang shows impressive range here, and seems the perfect leading man for the series' ever changing mood.

Lee Na-young (dah pernah tgk die belakun nge BYJ dlm True To Love, yg BYJ sakit barah jugak, best)

The other surprise is relative newcomer Lee Na-young. If you're tired of super-pretty plastic beauties overacting at every chance they get, here's finally someone who can convey different emotions without making a fool of herself. Kyung's charming personality comes across impressively thanks to Lee. When she smiles, she does it with her whole face and it feels sincere, as much as the opposite evokes the same reaction. Her character is difficult to portray: Kyung is a simple young woman. She's not particularly attractive --at least compared to the conventional canons of beauty in this kind of set-up-- is rather shy and has a hard time opening herself to other people. As the series begins, the viewer will likely have a hard time connecting with her. Little by little though, as she begins her relationship with Bok-su, you'll start to relate to her, and understand her personality.

Kong Hyo-jin (die ni memang pandai berlakun, dlm Sangdoo pun best tgk die)

It would be almost criminal leaving Kong Hyo-jin out of the picture. Despite her charming personality and great raw talent, she's been underused for the past 3-4 years in both TV dramas and movies. 2002 was probably her breakthrough year, with her first leading roles in Emergency Act 19, Conduct Zero and A Bizarre Love Triangle. She's also a lot more active than usual on TV, lately starring in MBC's Snowman, with Cho Jae-hyun & Kim Rae-won. Her portrayal of Mi-rae is interesting, because it mixes a lot of elements from her supporting roles (lots of cutesy and quirky moments) with a more 'grown up' personality. This is the best performance of her young career, and it finally gives a new spin to the 'bad girl' character you often find in series like this. That's of course only the leading stars, because the supporting cast is equally good. Jung Doo-hung, for example, impresses once again with a role that basically mimics his real life occupation (action director). He's a tough, no bull# man looking at him from the outside. But, he reveals himself to be one of Bok-su's best friends. Jung seems a natural for this kind of role, and he's been leaving a mark all year long. All his performances in 2002 (No Blood No Tears, Champion, Resurrection of the Little Match Girl) showcased his charisma and screen presence.

Second, the writing. Fans of TV Dramas often put up with a lot more bad writing than those who only watch Korean movies can tolerate. After all, if you're a sucker for melodrama, you can sometime forgive sappy music, manipulative plot developments, and stereotypical characters. I think most of the people who enjoy these dramas do so for their emotional content (remember, the major target demographics here are Ajumma's), they're not trying to find great writing. Instead, Ruler of Your Own World features some of the best writing I've seen on a TV drama. Characters seems stereotypical at first glance, and actually trick the audience with the usual set-up of the genre (boy 1 likes girl 2, girl 1 is pissed at girl 2 because she loves boy 1, dysfunctional families galore, and so on), but emerge from that set-up as multidimensional and realistic. Ko Bok-su is neither a simple thief nor a perfect man. Kyung's emotional state often gets the better of her and she avoids problems instead of facing them. Mi-rae can be pretty egotistical and short-minded, and that's just scraping the surface. There is never the feeling that things are rushing to the usual mega-convoluted cliffhanger, or that a mysterious sickness or death will come out of nowhere to further the plot. Whatever happens here does so for a reason. I never got the sense of urgency felt on other melodramas. This series shows a good mix of lighthearted, even silly moments with more serious and touching ones. And, the most important thing, it's successful in hitting the right notes. Even when things get a little manipulative, it's that kind of manipulation like in Lee Jung-hyang or Hur Jin-ho's films. One you can happily live with, because you care about the characters.

With a fantastic ending and lots of questions left to the viewer after the conclusion of the story, Ruler of Your Own World does something I haven't seen for too many Korean TV series. It takes the most overused plot device (a fatal disease) and actually uses it to convey something. It's not just a facade to bring tears to your eyes, no matter how successful at that some TV dramas are. Up to the last episode, the atmosphere never goes the usual way, there's no tragedy here. Bok-su builds a beautiful life out of his last days on Earth. He tries to make life better for him and the people he knows. He makes new friends, makes his parents' life meaningful again, and why not, he lets people who love him enter his life. The only flaw of Ruler of Your Own World is that, sadly, it eventually has to end. The best TV drama of 2002.      (Review by V. "X" Naldi)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

16-6-2024 12:42 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.079227 second(s), 41 queries .