Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 1847|Reply: 1

The first FIFA World Cup: 1930

[Copy link]
Post time 12-6-2014 11:04 AM | Show all posts |Read mode

A tournament that has a special place in World Cup history

World Cup 1930: a unique event

The 1930 Fifa World Cup has a unique place in football's history.

It included an average of more than three goals per game, a one-armed goalscorer in the final and four teams sharing the same boat to get there.

To host the tournament Uruguay had faced competition from Italy, Netherlands, Spain and Sweden. By declaring that it was prepared to pay all expenses and build a new stadium in a time of economic uncertainty, Uruguay, in its centenary year as a country, won the bidding.

A long way to travel

The 1930 tournament is the only World Cup that did have any method of qualification, because so few teams were able to participate.

Travelling from Europe to Uruguay and back home again after the tournament would require some players to be away for three months. Among the countries that declined an invitation were Italy, England and Czechoslovakia.

Only 13 teams took part - seven from South America, four from Europe and two from North America. They competed in four groups over nine days with all 18 matches played in Uruguay's capital city Montevideo.

Yugoslavia made their own way to the tournament, whereas Belgium, France and Romania sailed together - picking up the Brazil squad in Rio before stopping off in Santos to collect some pineapples, bananas and oranges for the players after a 12-day journey.

The World Cup's first match

The historic opening game between France and Mexico took place on July 13, with France's Lucient Laurent scoring the first ever World Cup goal after 19 minutes.

Speaking in 1998, he said: "We were playing Mexico and it was snowing, since it was winter in the southern hemisphere. One of my team-mates centred the ball and I followed its path carefully, taking it on the volley with my right foot. Everyone was pleased but we didn't all roll around on the ground - nobody realised that history was being made. A quick handshake and we got on with the game. And no bonus either; we were all amateurs in those days, right to the end."

Argentina's Manuel Ferreira dropped out of the tournament after one game to take a university exam and was replaced by Guillermo Stabile, who went on to win the Golden Shoe with eight goals in four games.

Every World Cup has its share of refereeing controversies and the 1930 tournament was no different. Bolivia coach Ulises Saucedo officiated the game between Argentina and Mexico and awarded five penalties - three of which were controversial.

And in France's second game, against Argentina, referee Almeida Rego blew his whstile to signal full-time after only 84 minutes just when Les Bleus had a chance to score. Chaotic scenes then unfolded before the Brazilian official brought the teams back out to play the remaining six minutes.

The 1930 World Cup final

The final between Argentina and Uruguay was held in front of more than 80,000 people on July 30 at the Estadio Centenario, which had been built especially for the tournament but which was not ready in time for the first few days of the tournament.

Uruguay took an early lead but Stabile was again on target as Argentina went 2-1 up in the first half, having been able to use their own ball.

The hosts had the choice of ball for the second half and hit back to regain their advantage before Hector Castro - a man who had lost an arm in an accident when he was a boy - scored the fourth goal with a minute remaining to ensure Uruguay were the first side to lift the World Cup courtesy of a 4-2 victory.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 14-1-2020 05:58 PM | Show all posts
This has been one of the best tournament  ever I have imagine and saw on the TV though but there was a time though which has never thought that coursework help uk me with assignment writing for the college purposes even on my tough time.
If you think that has been going on since a big help so you can calll upon this

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

9-5-2024 06:21 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.056099 second(s), 27 queries .