Use magic Report

Post time 21-5-2012 12:59 PM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 21-5-2012 01:02 PM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 21-5-2012 01:04 PM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 21-5-2012 05:20 PM | Show all posts
The Queen and her foreign royal guests  watched a military parade and muster in Windsor

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 21-5-2012 05:23 PM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 21-5-2012 05:24 PM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 22-5-2012 09:09 AM | Show all posts
Queen Elizabeth II And The Duke Of Edinburgh Visit The Chelsea Flower Show

Use magic Report

Post time 23-5-2012 11:10 AM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 24-5-2012 04:18 PM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by rosewhite at 24-5-2012 16:37

Use magic Report

Post time 28-5-2012 07:21 PM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by Flower007 at 28-5-2012 19:40

Ten Personal insights into the Queen's Personality

1. She's shy
Her Majesty may have reigned for 60 years but she remains quite a shy person at heart. Yes, she’s learnt how to handle all manner of social situations, rise to the occasion, and meet the incredible demands of being a monarch in the modern age, thanks in part to the advice of her closest courtiers – but I’m not sure if it’s a role she’s taken to naturally. I have a very real sense that she is her father George VI’s daughter in so many ways – and she looked to him as the role model for her own monarchy. Perhaps that helps explains why she’s a rather modest woman, like her late father. There’s nothing remotely over the top about her as a person, though I think that’s a good thing, and in a way this rather attractive quality echoes the reticence of us as a nation.

I have a very real sense that she is her father George VI's daughter in so many ways - and she looked to him as the role model for her own monarch

Use magic Report

Post time 28-5-2012 07:23 PM | Show all posts
2. The smile is real

I’ve been very struck by just how happy the Queen looks these days. I think that’s down to the fact that the Royal Family has survived the travails of recent decades to emerge as strong as ever. I think the media love you when you’re young, try to destroy you in your middle age, but then appreciate you all the more when you’re old and aren’t in anyone’s way. I think there’s an element of that in Her Majesty’s story. Just as importantly, so much seems settled: Charles’s predicament following the death of Diana and the difficult years afterwards seems to have been resolved. What’s more, she’s still got the Duke of Edinburgh by her side, and her grandchildren – in particular William and Harry – have turned out to be everything she could wish for. In short, the future of the succession seems assured – and I think that’s a source of tremendous pride and satisfaction to her.

I've been very struck by just how happy the Queen looks these days. I think that's down to the fact that the Royal Family has survived the travails of recent decades to emerge as strong as ever

Use magic Report

Post time 28-5-2012 07:25 PM | Show all posts
3. She has a wicked wit

She can be very funny – a side of her which the public rarely gets to see. I remember talking to her at one art world function, and when she asked if I was enjoying myself, I said, ‘Everybody’s here who I can’t reach on the telephone.’ ‘Oh,’ she replied wryly. ‘I don’t know who’s here – I forgot to put my specs on.’ And we had a little chuckle. I think she’s all too aware that as a monarch she has to be serious and representative of the nation, but believe me – I have to tread carefully here – in private she can often display a real sense of fun and a lovely, spontaneous sense of humour.

The Queen can be very funny - a side of her which the public rarely gets to see. In private she can often display a real sense of fun and a lovely, spontaneous sense of humour

Use magic Report

Post time 28-5-2012 07:26 PM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by Flower007 at 28-5-2012 19:27

4. Faith underpins her life

The Queen is of course the head of the Church of England – but it’s sometimes forgotten that she’s also a woman of deep Christian faith. I once saw her holding a rather worn prayer book which I think is in itself telling – because it shows that this is a woman who doesn’t just pay lip service to God, but prays and is a true believer. She is of course a regular churchgoer, and I’m sure she has drawn great sustenance from her faith during difficult times in her reign. It’s all too easy to forget that to have reigned for 60-odd years and pretty much never put a foot wrong is quite an achievement. That and the fact that she’s been able to bounce back from adversity is in part a tribute to her strength of character, which in turn is underpinned by her Christianity

I'm sure the Queen has drawn great sustenance from her faith during difficult times in her reign

Use magic Report

Post time 28-5-2012 07:27 PM | Show all posts
5. She's a make-do-and-mend Queen

The Queen has never been an extravagant person. She was 13 when World War II began, so her formative years were hugely shaped by growing up in the shadow of the conflict. The entire nation had to make sacrifices and while no one is suggesting the Royal Family had to slum it, Britain stood alone for a while against Germany, food was rationed and there was a real sense of make-do-and-mend. That’s something that has stayed with the Queen all her life, and I think that’s partly why she likes Kate, who’s not afraid to wear the same dress twice, and is so patently not in the ‘spend, spend, spend’ mould.

She has never been an extravagant person... There is a real sense of make-do-and-mend

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 28-5-2012 07:29 PM | Show all posts
6. Children are special to her

It’s rarely remarked upon, but the humility the Queen shows when she receives flowers from children says a lot to me about the hidden monarch. She must have been handed thousands of garlands by countless children – but judging by the way in which she accepts them, you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s the first time she’s been given flowers. I don’t want to make too big a thing of it, but I think that says a lot about the Queen as a person. The way she bends down to accept flowers from small children is tantamount to her saying that she regards them as her equals. Perhaps I’m a big softie but I always find it very touching.

The way the Queen bends down to accept flowers from small children is tantamount to her saying that she regards them as her equals

Use magic Report

Post time 28-5-2012 07:31 PM | Show all posts
7. She is serious about her duty

The Queen has laid a wreath at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday on all but a handful years during her long reign – the only exceptions being when she was either pregnant or overseas on an official visit (1959, 1961, 1963, 1968, 1983 and 1999). This terribly moving annual ceremony, which sees the nation united in grief for the fallen in two world wars and other conflicts, means a huge amount to her, in large part because she lived through World War II, and saw how great a price we as a nation paid to preserve our freedom. You only have to notice the sombre expression on her face to see the utmost seriousness with which she carries out her duty, and regards the day’s proceedings. It’s also why she has such a keen awareness of the sacrifices that have been made by the forces in Afghanistan and Iraq, and it is of course no accident that that’s she granted Wootton Bassett a Royal Charter. (In recognition of the extraordinary way in which the town has honoured the wars’ victims.)

You only have to notice the sombre expression on her face to see the utmost seriousness with which she carries out her duty

Use magic Report

Post time 28-5-2012 07:32 PM | Show all posts
8. She's kind at heart

This isn’t something that’s ever much reported, but she’s very thoughtful for anyone she knows who has been bereaved or ill, performing little acts of kindness. For instance, she paid a private visit to Martin Charteris (above) – who served her for many years as her Assistant Private Secretary and then Private Secretary, and did so much for her as a young monarch – shortly before his death in 1999. She often displays a real pastoral, if very private, thoughtfulness for other people, which I think is an admirable quality in a monarch. It’s an interesting example of how while she’s a very public figure, she’s also managed to remain a very private person, and for that I think we should be grateful.

The Queen paid a private visit to Martin Charteris - who served her for many years as her Assistant Private Secretary and then Private Secretary, and did so much for her as a young monarch - shortly before his death

Use magic Report

Post time 28-5-2012 07:34 PM | Show all posts
9. She loved her palace on the water

The Queen was terribly saddened to see the Royal Yacht Britannia pensioned off.
She had a huge amount of affection for the ship because it was the only home that was ever specially created for her, in every sense of the word. Otherwise she was entirely living in old palaces, which may sound very grand – but you’re in effect living in high-class antique shops. It’s interesting to note that the Royal Yacht was furnished in a much more contemporary style than the palaces, with their George III antique tables, so she didn’t feel weighed down by the panoply of the past, which I think she found rather liberating. She also appreciated the freedom the yacht gave her to escape the prying eyes of the world and just be herself.

The Queen on board HMY Britannia in March 1971

Prince Charles and the Queen at the yacht's farewell service in 1997

The Queen was terribly saddened to see the Royal Yacht Britannia pensioned off

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

23-5-2024 12:09 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.960016 second(s), 41 queries .