CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: seribulan

[Pelbagai] ...10 of the world’s prettiest book towns and villages...

[Copy link]
 Author| Post time 27-12-2017 12:20 AM | Show all posts
WhiskeyScotch replied at 26-12-2017 11:16 PM
InsyaAllah. If it happens, don't forget to post the pictures here.

Maybe put the wishlist

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 27-12-2017 02:12 PM | Show all posts
Edited by seribulan at 27-12-2017 01:25 PM

Seoul's best foreign bookshops * pics x kluar...

It's hard to find a good selection of English novels abroad.  Here are some bookshops you should visit to find your next read!

By Suyeon Bock
Posted: Tuesday December 13 2016

What the Book?

When What The Book? opened in 2003, English books, especially new releases, were hard to come by and pricey at that. Many long-term residents credit the store for creating enough competition to lower the price of English books at major Korean outlets. What the Book? sells both used and new volumes, and has the biggest on-site English magazine section we’ve seen yet in Korea. They’re also known for an expansive children’s section, and regularly partner with international schools to host book fairs. From their searchable online database, you can order online and select either pick-up or delivery. But we think you’ll want to pick up your purchase in-store—it’s so much fun to wander the sunlit space and browse their spacious shelves. Our one complaint? We wish they had a coffee shop so we could linger even longer.

Itaewon
Veranda Books

Opened just this March by illustrator Noh Jun-gu and former fashion designer Jina Lee, Veranda Books is a small, modern bookstore specializing in illustrated books. Filled with salary men from nearby companies during lunchtime, Jun-gu says that he wanted “a space that would provide brief respite from the hectic feeling of everyday life.” Here, you can find beautifully designed art gallery pamphlets, children’s books, flip books, photography books, postcards and even a few of Noh Jun-gu’s works.  

Paper Muse

Art and culture magazines, especially ones not written in Korean, can be difficult to find in Seoul. Ordering them online from overseas means having to pay large shipping fees and if you're really a zine-addict, it’s nice to be able to touch them and see the cover in person before making a purchase. Owner Won Sung-kyung has loved magazines since she was young and quit her job to start Paper Muse three years ago. “To be honest, I wanted to open it in Hongdae at first but it was too expensive. Since the Steve J & Yoni P Showroom is here, I figured a lot of fashion lovers and fashion magazine lovers would be around here, too.” A neat display of foreign magazines like Vogue, The Gentlewoman, Dapper, Kinfolk, Cereal and Monocle will greet your eyes when you eneter and though the prices may be hefty (it’s difficult to find an issue under 30,000 won)—we say you should treat yourself to such rarities as the year comes to a close.

Veronica Effect

5 out of 5 stars
Former magazine editor Kim Hye-mi and her partner, artist Yu Seung-bo, opened this tiny bookshop mid-2014 with little fanfare. Tucked back amongst the low, red brick buildings south of Hongdae, Veronica Effect is filled with art books, graphic novels, children’s books, and zines. Half the store is dedicated to local artists and half is international. There’s even a shelf with vintage children’s books, like X-men comics and the Dover sticker books (yes, dear ones, our childhood is now vintage).

Mapo-gu

Storage book & film
Storage book & film

Located on the hilly streets on Haebangchon, you could easily walk past this bookshop if you weren’t keeping your eyes peeled for it. Although the space is small, the shop is jam-packed with travel photo journals and photography-related objects. While flipping through the pages of an artsy photo book, you may feel the sudden urge to run back home and pack your bags. If you do end up planning that spontaneous getaway, the independent publisher and bookshop owner offers photo workshops, as well as special events, after closing (7pm).

Yongsan-gu

Kobalt

Out on the main street of Garosugil, it’s hard to find a quiet café—even on weekdays during office hours—much less one that also manages to feel cozy and elegant at the same time. However, here at Kobalt, located near Saerosu-gil, you’re invited to come sit, order a coffee and read a magazine (Time Out Seoul is also available here, wink wink). Kobalt, which used to be on the main road of Garosugil, relocated here in 2012 and with the reopening, added a café as well. Assistant manager, Geena Woo, who spent some time in London said: “Once I came back to Korea, I realized how few spaces exist where one could sit and read for hours.” The menu includes a variety of drinks that range from simple coffee to the Double Espresso Chocolat and several yogurt parfaits to alcoholic beverages, such as mulled wine. For those that come to the café empty handed, there are a variety of goods, such as several editions of Monocle books, fashion and lifestyle magazines, journals and calendars, for sale upstairs at the Kobalt Shop to occupy one’s time. It is safe to say that Kobalt is one of our new favorite venues.

Hidden gems: Korean design shops in Seoul

Marche@

Use magic Report

Post time 27-12-2017 11:59 PM | Show all posts

Kalau wishlist, this is going to be my wishlist. Specifically on bookstores/bookshops only. Ada juga a few libraries yang I teringin nak visit. Yang libraries tu nanti I listkan on the next posting.
So, here is my wishlist:

Libreria Acqua Alta, Venice

El Pendulo, Mexico City

Livraria Lello & Irmao, Portugal

El Ateneo, Beunos Aires

Carturesti Carusel, Bucharest

Librarie Avant Grade, Nanjing

Cafebreria, Mexico City

Barnes & Noble, United States

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 27-12-2017 11:59 PM | Show all posts
seribulan replied at 27-12-2017 02:12 PM
Seoul's best foreign bookshops * pics x kluar...

It's hard to find a good selection of English no ...

Let me help with the pictures.

What the Book, Itaewon, Seoul

Veranda Books, Seoul

Paper Muse, Seoul

Veronica Effect, Seoul

Storage Book & Film, Seoul

Kobalt, Seoul

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-12-2017 09:24 PM | Show all posts
Japan: Amazing Bookstores in Kyoto and Tokyo

Updated on August 15, 2017
Elena.
more
Contact Author
Just back from Japan, I can say I've reached the mid point in my quest to visit The World's 10 Best Bookshops according to The Guardian. I've visited El Ateneo Grand Splendid in Buenos Aires, Selexyz Dominicanen in Maastrich, Posada Books in Brussels, Lello e Irmao in Porto, and now I add Kyoto's Keibunsya, rated #9 in The Guardian's list.

But that's not all. I also visited Tsutaya's newest bookstore, Daikanyama T-Site, in Tokyo, which opened in December 2011. I'm sure it's not in the Top 10 list because such list was produced way earlier than this magnificent bookstore opened its doors, otherwise I bet it would feature there.

No need to steal any of these photos, ask me and I'll send the original in all it's full pixeled quality. | Source
Japan and Books

Books and bookstores are alive, well and kicking heartily in Japan.

Much as everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, walks and rides the subway and the train, and eats and does just about everything else with a smart phone in their hand, an iPod in their ears, etcetera, books are still the thing. None of that ebook fad over there in the land of the rising sun, books are still THE thing people read on their commutes, on a bench in the park, or just about anywhere else, too.

I did find that surprising, pardon my ignorance, but I'd chance a guess that it'd probably be a surprise for many, considering Japan is the country of electronics par excellence.

Keibunsya in Kyoto

Unassuming, charming. It's just your around the corner bookstore.
This is the world's #9 best bookstore, according to The Guardian. It isn't a grand building, nor a flashy setup. In a way, it reminded me of Posada Books in Brussels (which unfortunately closed its doors on May 2014), with its old world atmosphere, its quiet and understated message that books are what count, and they have them for you, if you happen to want for one.

Quiet, Unpretentious, Old World

What's most impressive about this bookstore is its quiet, unpretentious, corner store atmosphere. It's seriously charming, combining lighting and panels and old furniture to create that bookstore of old feel. And as old bookstores the world over, it's peacefully silent, such as a library would be.

The shushed ambience, the subdued but perfectly adequate lightning, create that unique book adoring scene that can only be found in true bookstores.

In a way, if not for the books predominantly in Japanese, I could have found myself just anywhere in the world. Perhaps that's the nature and soul of bookstores –no matter the country they are in, books create a unique language that's universally understood.

This world class bookstore it's completely out of the way. Two train rides is what it took. I could say one train ride with a transfer, but in truth we had to change train lines! Did that add charm to the whole visit!

The Guardian lists the lighting and the panels, or the little galleries embedded in the panels as must sees. However, as The Guardian states, "it's just the quiet dignity of the place that's hard to beat."

They carry a bit of everything, ostensibly specializing in design and art books in Japanese, but you'll find comics, magazines, modern literature, a space for music, stationery, and an area for gifts and home stuff.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-12-2017 09:26 PM | Show all posts
Tsutaya's Daikanyama T-Site, Tokyo

I found out about this architectural masterpiece in Flavorwire. Be that as it may, with the Flavorwire's entry I realized my list of Top 10 bookstores to visit had just doubled up, from 10 to 20!

Never mind that, I call myself lucky that I read the Flavorwire entry before I traveled to Japan, since it would have been unforgivable to be in Tokyo and miss out on Tsutaya's pride and joy bookstore.

T-Site is Special in its Inception

Tsutaya is a huge book and music retail store chain in Japan. You can find one Tsutaya outlet in every third corner, literally, which already made me suspect that old style books where still the thing in Japan. But the really interesting and special fact about this new store was that the owner delisted the company from Tokyio Stock Exchange in order to be able to do what he envisioned as his flagship store in Japan.

Pardon me, but delisting a company from the stock exchange market in order to be able to build a dream, and not have to answer to stockholders, is nothing short of a miracle these days. I seriously found it something legendary, and most definitely worth a visit.

Singular Concept Today

I informed myself regarding the architects, the design criteria and the space, and the more I read, the more I wanted to see for myself.

In a world where more and more bookstores are closing their doors, be it for the competition of major chains, physical or virtual (Amazon, anyone?), or simply due to the advent of the electronic book, here was a business owner who not only didn't believe in the descent of the traditional book industry, but also conceived of a way to make it modern, innovative and fabulously appealing to all types, especially the types that would otherwise find solace in purchasing books from the comfort of their iPhones or iPads or Kindles.

Singular Architecture and Design

From all I read, what appealed to me the most of this bookstore was the architecture angle, although, as I listed above, the concept was already very appealing. But when I saw the place for myself, I really had to nod my head in earnest at the architectural and interior design innovative masterpiece.

It combines a very fine display of books, magazines, music, DVDs and high-end stationery, with an even finer piano lounge and restaurant, an integrated convenience store, a Starbucks suited to the building its hosted in, and a travel agency.

It sits in the middle of a garden, or so it looks like, composed of three modules that look like a T and which are connected by an upper floor glass walkway. The lower half of the exterior is all glass and the upper half is a T shaped façade that reflects the site's name. By early evening, when the interior it's lighted and the sky is darkish, looking in from outside it's magical.

This bliss of a bookstore is located 15 minutes south of Shibuya. Yes, that huge crossing that appears in all movies and newscasts. However, 15 minutes south is the center of the upscale Daikanyama shopping district, very quiet and rather elegant. One would never suspect it's but less than one mile away from one of the most crowded crossings in the world.

If you plan to ever visit this bookstore, Google Maps will help you out. Like I said, it's a 15 minute walk from Shibuya, you only need to orient yourself around the backstreets of Tokyo.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 29-12-2017 12:35 AM | Show all posts
seribulan replied at 28-12-2017 09:26 PM
Tsutaya's Daikanyama T-Site, Tokyo

I've never been to Japan before. By looking at the pictures, I will definitely pay a visit to both bookstores especially Tsutaya Daikanyama. I can spend my whole day at Tsutaya.

Keibunsha, Kyoto

Tsutaya Daikanyama, T-Site, Tokyo

Use magic Report

Post time 29-12-2017 12:54 AM | Show all posts
seribulan replied at 28-12-2017 09:24 PM
Japan: Amazing Bookstores in Kyoto and Tokyo

Updated on August 15, 2017

Have you heard about the new bookstore-themed hostel in Kyoto? I remember reading about the article somewhere. Hold on. Let me find the article.

Yes, found it! I love the theme, concept and everything about it. Here we go:

This brand new space has 5,000 books for guests to read, a special bar stocked with local beers, and bunks inside the shelves to sleep in.

Japan’s ancient capital of Kyoto has inspired writers and poets for centuries, and now there’s a new type of accommodation in the city that’s set to be a haven for visiting literature buffs and bookworms. As the second branch of Book and Bed Tokyo, which opened in November last year just a short walk away from Tokyo’s Ikebukuro Station, the new Kyoto location looks to be just as spectacular, with guest beds located inside a number of beautiful wooden bookshelves filled with a total of 5,000 books.

Centrally located in Kyoto’s famous Gion district, the hostel aims to accommodate both local and overseas travellers with a wide selection of English and Japanese-language books for visitors to browse through at their leisure. The accommodation itself is located behind a beautiful arched doorway on the 9th floor of a building, where there are a total of 20 beds available.

There are 18 “Standard Bookshelf Bunks” measuring 220 centimetres × 110 centimetres (86.6 inches x 43.3 inches), which are priced from 5,300 yen (US$46.80) a night.

There is one slightly narrower “Compact Bookshelf” bunk measuring 220 centimetres × 90 centimetres (86.6 inches x 35.4 inches), which is priced from 4,800 yen per night.

And another compact bookshelf bunk with the same measurements, called the “River View Compact” due to its proximity to the window, which is priced from 5,300 yen a night.

While the number and types of beds available differ slightly to the Tokyo location, the on-site amenities remain the same. Each bunk has luggage space under the bed, along with a personal lamp, power outlet, hanger and private curtain.

Shared lounges line the walls of the hostel, while guests can enjoy free Wi-Fi and the use of shared showers and bathrooms at any time during their stay. Towels, soaps, shampoos, conditioners, toothbrushes and toothpaste are not supplied, but can be rented as a pack for an extra 540 yen.

Like the hostel’s Tokyo branch, guests will be provided with stylish NOWHAW-brand robes to wear during their stay, available only on the 8th, 18th and 28th days of each month.

Check-in time at the hostel is between 4:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m., with check-out available until 11:00 a.m. the next day. If you’re curious to see what the place is like without using one of their bunks, visitors can stop by for a quiet read on the lounges during the daytime, at a charge of 540 yen per hour, or 1,620 yen for an unlimited period during daytime business hours.

To book your short or overnight stay, check out the Kyoto Book and Bed Tokyo website for more details in Japanese and English. Reservations are essential and require advance payment by credit card, or prepaid Japanese IC cards like Pasmo or Suica, which makes for a smooth and easy check-in upon arrival.

Information

Book and Bed Tokyo – Kyoto branch
Address: Kyoto-fu, Kyoto-shi, Higashiyama-ku, Nakanocho-Nishiiru 200, 9F Kamogawa Building
京都府京都市東山区中之町西入ル200カモガワビル9階
Office hours: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Website (English)

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 29-12-2017 09:41 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
WhiskeyScotch replied at 28-12-2017 11:54 PM
Have you heard about the new bookstore-themed hostel in Kyoto? I remember reading about the articl ...

Jom pergi Kyoto

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-12-2017 09:48 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by seribulan at 29-12-2017 08:49 AM

http://lifeinsaudiarabia.net/blog/2016/08/17/a-list-of-15-bookstores-in-and-around/

Tak leh copy ni

Use magic Report

Post time 30-12-2017 12:50 AM | Show all posts

Yasss. Let's go! This would be the right place to release stress and relax your mind.

Use magic Report

Post time 30-12-2017 01:14 AM | Show all posts
Edited by WhiskeyScotch at 30-12-2017 01:15 AM

The link memang content protected, so tak boleh copy. However, the link yang you bagi ni ada provide the actual link. I took all the infos from this link:

Let me help to copy the content. Here we go:

A List of Bookstores Around Jeddah

Bookstores are our guilty pleasures, may it be for stationery, bags, or actual books. Here’s a list of some good book stores around town that you can consider for your book and stationery frenzies.

1. Jarir Bookstore:

It literally is ‘not just a bookstore’. They’ve got everything from books, to supplies to gadgets.

Tel: 920000089
Locations:
Jarir Mall, Tahliya St., Al Rehab Dist.
Jamea Plaza, Al Jamiah Dist.
Jarir Mall, Prince Sultan Rd.
Palestine St., Bani Malik
Prince Majed Rd., Al Safa Dist.
Sari St., Al Salamah

2. Virgin Megastore:

A great option for novels, gadgets, creative stationery and gifts.

Tel: 920008582
Locations:
Red Sea Mall, King Abdulaziz Rd., Al Shatea Dist.
Roshana Mall, Tahliya St.

3. Obeikan

For Arabic literature and books, Islamic books and stationery of course.

Tel: +966-12-6123542

4. Maktaba Al Fanoos:

Endless array of supplies for art and design students, as well as basic stationery, gadgets and bags.

Web: al-fanoos.com

5. Nobel Bookstore:

For stationery, art supplies, cool notebooks etc.

Al Zahra Dist.

6. Mirza Library:

Office and art supplies, bags, and stationery are also Mirza Library’s forte.

Tel:+966-12-6701958

7. Afnan Bookstore:

Specifically great for academic books ranging from primary to high school level in addition to stationery.

8. Fursan Bookstore:

Also catering to academic books for schools for all grades.

Tel: +966-12-6711713

9. IQ Bookstore:

A wide variety of options such as school, office and computer supplies/accessories, as well as comics, books and toys for kids.

10. Konooz Al Marefa Bookstore:

A great choice for books of all sorts including school, university, Arabic and English material.

Tel: +966-12-6514222

11. Medical Book Center:

As the name suggests, this book center focuses on books for Medical University students.

Tel: +966-12-6870080

12. Maktaba Omar Al Deiny

Academic books for Indian Embassy School specifically.

Tel: +966-12-6750595

13. Tihama Bookstores

Kids’ books, magazines, school and office supplies, and accessories.

Locations:
Andalus St., Al Hamra Dist.
Jamjoom Center, Falasteen St.
Al Khalidiyah Dist.

14. Rawaea Al Maktabat

For stationery lovers. More info can be found on the following article.

Tel: +966-12-6612126
Instagram: stationery_fantasies

15. Al Khazindar Bookstore:

Academic books on a variety of subjects, and office, school and art supplies.
Tel: +966-12-6825052

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 2-1-2018 02:27 PM | Show all posts
WhiskeyScotch replied at 23-12-2017 12:56 AM
I salah seorang hantu bookstores.  Kalau pergi melancong, tempat yang wajib I akan lawati ialah ke ...
Dulu waktu zaman I belajar dekat UK selalu ada sales jual buku. You boleh dapat beli novel-novel dengan harga serendah 50 pence tau. Ala-ala 50 sen duit Malaysia. Gila tak borong. Murah sangat tu.
Pernah terbaca seorang blogger ni beli buku di Wigtown, ada pula buku-buku sejarah berkaitan Tanah Melayu yang rasanya di sini pun kita tak jumpa dah. mungkin lepas zaman penjajahan dulu, dibawa pulang oleh orang British ke sana.

murahnya buku "50 sen".. car boot sale atau memang kat bookshop? untung sungguh.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 2-1-2018 04:15 PM | Show all posts
bianglala replied at 2-1-2018 02:27 PM
Pernah terbaca seorang blogger ni beli buku di Wigtown, ada pula buku-buku sejarah berkaitan Tanah ...

I pernah dapat dekat both car boot sale and bookshop. Tapi selalunya kalau harga buku 50 pence tu confirm novel-novel or buku-buku lama. But, sangat worth it. Dulu waktu zaman I belajar, my student accommodation selalu student-student ni letak novel-novel mereka dekat atas meja at the reception area with a sign 'it's free, please take it'. So, merasalah dapat novel free.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-1-2018 03:08 PM | Show all posts
Edited by seribulan at 4-1-2018 02:10 PM

There's A Village In Wales That Is Basically One Big Library                
                    Book your holiday now.        

Chelsey Pippin        BuzzFeed Staff, UK

1. This is the Welsh village of Hay-on-Wye.                                                        

2.              It's got a lovely castle.                                                                       

Flickr: beauvais                                    

3.              There are plenty of adorable cafes and antique shops.                                                                       

Flickr: ed_webster / Creative Commons                                    

4.              Plus lots of deliciously, locally sourced food.      

Flickr: silversprite / Creative Commons                                                                        

Flickr: hatters / Creative Commons                                                                        

5.              But that's not why you're here, now is it?                                                                       

Flickr: alanstanton                                    

6.              Because charming as the rest of it is... the thing that Hay-on-Wye does better than anywhere else...                                                                       

Flickr: moogan                                    

7.              ... is books.                                                                       

Flickr: clsphotos / Creative Commons                                    

8.              Hay-on-Wye is the world's largest second-hand and antiquarian book centre.      

Flickr: wheatfields / Creative Commons                                                                        

Flickr: addedentry / Creative Commons                                                                        

9.              It's got some of the most charming bookshops in the world.                                                                       

Flickr: hatters / Creative Commons                                    

10.              And some of the creepiest.      

Flickr: redbettyblack / Creative Commons                                                                        

Flickr: ian-s                                                                        

11.              In case the shops on every corner don't do it for you...      

Flickr: andy-howell / Creative Commons                                                                        

Flickr: ismas / Creative Commons                                                                        

12.              ... the village is full secret spots to pick up a new read.                                                                       

Flickr: garrettc / Creative Commons                                    

13.              Hay-on-Wye has several unmanned "honesty bookshops."                                                                       

Flickr: drakelelane                                    

14.              Like this one...                                                                       

Flickr: silversprite / Creative Commons                                    

15.              ... with its outdoor shelves lining the outer walls of the castle.                                                                       

Flickr: beauvais                                    

16.              Perfection.                                                                       

Flickr: mifl68 / Creative Commons                                    

17.              And lots of pop-up sales.                                                                       

18.              The village hosts the annual Hay Literary Festival, bringing in lots of acclaimed writers.                                                                       

19.              And more importantly, THESE CHAIRS.                                                                       

Flickr: nedrichards / Creative Commons                                    

20.              There are tiny, perfect outdoor shelves everywhere.      

Flickr: massif / Creative Commons                                                                        

Flickr: johncireland                                                                        

21.              The village's main export must be bookshelf porn.                                                                       

22.              I mean, honestly.                                                                       

Flickr: robbophotos / Creative Commons                                    

23.              Just shut up and take my money, Hay-on-Wye.                                                                       

24.              There are so many bucket list bookshops.                                                                       

Flickr: studio-d / Creative Commons                                    

25.              With so much history and ambience, you could probably spend a year in each one.      

Flickr: andy-howell / Creative Commons                                                                        

Flickr: 79553013@N00 / Creative Commons                                                                        

26.              You could seriously camp out here forever.                                                                       

27.              You might as well pick up and move there right now.                                                                       

28.              Because Hay-on-Wye gets you.                                                                       

Flickr: arenamontanus / Creative Commons                                    

29.              BRB, *bookgasming*.                                                                       

Flickr: stephencleary                                    

Use magic Report

Post time 6-1-2018 12:58 AM | Show all posts
Apart from bookstores/bookshops, a bibliophile should pay a visit to any one of these beautiful libraries. It's COMPULSORY!

A Must Visit Libraries Before You Die!!!

1) Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library, Toronto.

2) The New York Public Library, New York.

3) John Rylands Library; Manchester, UK.

4) Strahov Library, Prague.

5) Beinecke Rare Books & Manuscripts Library at Yale; New Haven, Connecticut.

6) Stadtbibliothek Stuttgart; Stuttgart, Germany.

7) Trinity College Long Room, Dublin.

8) Library of Congress; Washington, D.C.

9) Mafra National Palace Library; Mafra, Portugal.

10) The George Peabody Library; Baltimore.

11) Suzzallo Library at University of Washington, Seattle.

12) Boston Public Library, Boston.

~To Be Continued...

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 6-1-2018 10:08 AM | Show all posts
Libraries in AsiaAsian Public Libraries, Academic Libraries, Special Libraries and School Libraries in Asia

[size=16.1815px]https://www.lib-web.org/asia/

Use magic Report

Post time 7-1-2018 12:29 AM | Show all posts
Edited by WhiskeyScotch at 7-1-2018 12:31 AM

Okeyh, sambungan dari posting #76.

A Must Visit Libraries Before You Die!!!

1) Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Alexandria, Egypt.

2) Austrian National Library, Vienna.

3) Mortlock Wing State Library, Adelaide, Australia.

4) Sainte-Geneviève Library, Paris.

5) Malmö City Library, Sweden.

6) The Codrington Library, Oxford, UK.

7) Handelingenkamer, The Hague, Netherlands.

8) National Library of the Czech Republic.

9) Philological Library, Berlin, Germany.

10) Melk Monastery, Austria.

11) University of Salamanca Library, Spain.

12) Utrecht University Library, Netherlands.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-1-2018 11:27 AM | Show all posts
Edited by seribulan at 10-1-2018 10:28 AM

From strawberries to books: Maharashtra’s Bhilar to become readers’ haven                                       
India’s first book village will come up near Bhilar, a village near the hill station of Panchagani                                       
mumbai                                               

Updated: Apr 27, 2017 17:01 IST                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Yogesh Joshi
Hindustan Times

The state roped in artists to paint murals all over Bhilar, seeking to pique the interest of visitors.(HT)

A village in Maharashtra famous for its strawberries is soon going offer more - rare Marathi books and magazines.
Hay-on-Wye, world’s largest second-hand book centre

• Hay-on-Wye, a village in Wales, UK, is the world’s largest second-hand book centre
  • In 1972, villager Richard Booth was the first to set up a second-hand bookstore in an abandoned fire station. Several followed, transforming Hay-on-Wye into a paradise for bibliophiles
  • Today, about 30 bookstores cater to the village’s population of 1,500 people
  • Several unmanned ‘honesty bookshops’ and tiny outdoor shelves dot the landscape
  • The village made headlines earlier this year, when a note written by author Enid Blyton was found in one of its bookstores
  • The village also hosts the Hay Festival, one of the world’s top literary festivals, every year
  • Former US President Bill Clinton participated in the festivities, describing the event as the ‘Woodstock of the mind’

From May 4, Bhilar will become India’s first ‘book village’ where tourists and locals can come and read books, magazines, newspapers stacked at 25 premises. Near the popular the British-era hill station of Mahabaleshwar, Bhilar already attracts a large number of tourists, who come to taste the locally produced strawberries.
Bhilar, which has a population of about 10,000, and nearby areas produce around 100 tonnes of strawberry every year, earning them Rs 50 crore. And 90% of the village’s population is involved in strawberry farming.
State education minister Vinod Tawde said the Maharashtra government wanted to encash on Bhilar’s location in order to further promote tourism and the Marathi language. The idea of ‘pustakanche gaon’ – book village in Marathi – came from Hey-on-Wye, a small place known as ‘town of books’ in Wales, United Kingdom.
The government brought 10,000 books and magazines, including issues of old popular Diwali Anks or special issues of Marathi magazine published during the festival of lights with the help of locals this week.
Officials said some of the books are very rare and out of publication, including novels, reference books about Maharashtra and Marathi culture written by prominent authors. Along with books, most houses have also been painted with pictures of books to attract tourists.
Two weeks ago the government appealed to artists from Mumbai and Pune through Swatva, an informal WhatsApp-based artist and art-lovers’ network, to help it paint the premises where books have been placed for public reading.

Some of the books that will be on display.                                                        (HT)

Responding to the appeal, 75 artists turned up at Bhilar and painted walls of houses, temples and other tourists destinations as a part of 3-day painting camp. They painted the walls with graphics and images of books to indicate readers about genres of books they might be interested in reading.
According to Tawde, the artists responded to government’s call voluntarily.
“Our village now looks fresh and new. The government’s efforts have encouraged locals who wants to participate in the initiative,” Vikas Bhilare, a strawberry grower, said.
While most books are in Marathi, the government plans to add Hindi and English books in the collection at a later stage. The government has also asked locals and other literary institutions to conduct reading sessions and literary events at Bhilar to attract books lovers.
To ensure that books are returned by tourists, they will have to pay a nominal deposit.
“We will accept nominal deposit from readers to ensures books are returned and maintained well by readers. Given that the region receives heavy rainfall during monsoon, we plan to make necessary arrangements to ensure books are maintained properly,” Anand Katikar, who heads Rajya Marathi Vikas Sanstha, said.
After becoming the education minister, Tawde had announced his plans to identify a place and turn it into a book village. It took 2 years for his ministry to bring his plans into action as identifying a village for the project consumed most of the time, the locals and readers, however, are satisfied.
“It’s an interesting concept derived from the western world. Once the government inaugurates the book village, I plan to go there soon,” Mangesh Joshi, a book lover from Pune who frequently visits Mahabaleshwar, said.     

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 20-1-2018 09:12 PM | Show all posts
Edited by seribulan at 20-1-2018 08:24 PM

Ribuan koleksi, Pulau Pangkor patut jadi pulau buku

Published: December 2, 2017 09:02 AM GMT+8

Setiap peserta Festival Puiat Antarabangsa Pangkor (Pulara) diwajib membawa sekurang-kurangnya dua buku sejak lapan tahun lalu. — Foto Reuters

LUMUT, 2 Dis — Pulau Pangkor tidak seharusnya dikenali dengan produk hasil laut terutama ikan bilis semata-mata, tetapi wajar diketahui umum sebagai pulau yang mengumpul koleksi buku dari seluruh dunia.         

Malah kata penyelidik seni budaya nusantara Prof Dr Siti Zainon Ismail, Pulau Pangkor yang terkenal sebagai destinasi percutian wajar dijadikan sebagai ‘pulau buku’ sesuai dengan peranannya menganjurkan Festival Puisi dan Lagu Rakyat Antarabangsa Pangkor (Pulara).         

“Pulara sudah masuk tahun kelapan penganjurannya, bayangkan sekiranya setiap peserta diwajibkan menghadiahkan sekurang-kurangnya dua naskah buku (setiap kali datang) tentunya sudah mencecah ribuan naskah.         

“Pihak terlibat perlu melihat cadangan ini agar pelancong yang tiba di pulau ini disambut dengan buku-buku,” katanya kepada pemberita selepas menyampaikan ucap tama pada Persidangan Bahasa dan Persuratan Melayu Merentasi Zaman bersempena Pulara 2017 di sini, semalam.         

Pulara 2017 yang bermula Khamis lalu sehingga Ahad dianjurkan oleh kerajaan negeri melalui Tourism Perak dengan kerjasama Yayasan Kampung Karyawan Malim dan ia menghimpunkan  200 peserta dari 14 negara.         

Siti Zainon yang juga pengkaji seni budaya dan warisan Melayu  turut menggesa  pihak Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka (DBP)  terus  memperjuangkan penggunaan bahasa Melayu yang betul terutama dalam dunia globalisasi.         

“Saya ambil contoh daripada ‘food truck’ menjadi kendera saji, mula-mula kecoh tetapi bahasa itu bukan baharu diperkenalkan ia sudah ada lama cuma dibetulkan,” katanya.         

Beliau juga berharap DBP berani menegur mana-mana pihak yang menggunakan sesuatu perkataan atau perbendaharaan secara salah agar ia tidak berterusan.         

“Jika ada papan iklan yang salah penggunaan bahasanya termasuk ejaan, sila tegur jika tidak kesalahan itu akan berleluasa.  

“Zaman kami dulu bila bahasa salah, ejaan salah, kami turunkan. Jadi sekarang peranan pegawai DBP, kena bersuara, tegur dan perbetulkan,” katanya.  — Bernama

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

28-4-2024 04:34 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.333534 second(s), 46 queries .