Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 54550|Reply: 286

[Pelbagai] Quotables @ Bookshelf

[Copy link]
Post time 19-3-2019 03:21 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by bianglala at 19-3-2019 03:23 PM

“It was the moment I realized what music can do to people, how it can make you hurt and feel so good all at once.”

NINA LACOUR, HOLD STILL

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 19-3-2019 03:22 PM | Show all posts
“I have my own e-reader, but I hardly ever use it. I need to fold down pages and flag passages with sticky notes. I need to experience books, not just read them. I never go anywhere without a book in my bag, and to travel across the ocean, I’d packed more than my fair share.”

LAUREN MORRILL, MEANT TO BE

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 19-3-2019 04:03 PM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 24-3-2019 05:41 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 24-3-2019 05:49 PM | Show all posts
“There is no greater threat to the critics and cynics and fearmongers than those of us who are willing to fall because we have learned how to rise.” Quotes from books, like this one from Rising Strong, are inspiring and powerful.

Use magic Report

Post time 25-3-2019 03:17 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 25-3-2019 05:48 PM | Show all posts
Edited by seribulan at 25-3-2019 04:55 PM

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Favorite quote: “People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.” If you want more love quotes from books, check out these 15 romantic book quotes.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Favorite quote: “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view … Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”

On My Own by Diane Rehm

Favorite quote: “I don’t believe in closure. What does it really mean? Does it mean the closing of a door, the locking up of memories, the refusal to allow a flow of consciousness that may involve some measure of grief?”

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Favorite quote: “We accept the love we think we deserve.” These are the 10 surprising books every teen should read before high school.

Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton

Favorite quote: “Beautiful means ‘full of beauty.’ Beautiful is not about how you look on the outside, beautiful is about what you’re made of. Beautiful people spend time discovering what their idea of beauty on this earth is. They know themselves well enough to know what they love, and they love themselves enough to fill up with a little of their particular kind of beauty each day.” Check out these other 17 uplifting quotes that will stay with you.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Favorite quote: “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

Favorite quote: “It cannot be doubted that each of us can only see part of the picture. The doctor sees one, the patient another, the engineer a third, the economist a fourth, the pearl diver a fifth, the alcoholic a sixth, the cable guy a seventh, the sheep farmer an eighth, the Indian beggar a ninth, the pastor a tenth. Human knowledge is never contained in one person. It grows from the relationships we create between each other and the world, and still it is never complete.”

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Favorite quote: “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” These are the 10 young adult novels adults secretly love.

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande

Favorite quote: “Human beings need loyalty. It does not necessarily produce happiness, and can even be painful, but we all require devotion to something more than ourselves for our lives to be endurable. Without it, we have only our desires to guide us, and they are fleeting, capricious, and insatiable.”

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Favorite quote: “Nothing in life is as important as you think it is, while you are thinking about it.”

What I Know for Sure by Oprah Winfrey

Favorite quote: “When you make loving others the story of your life, there’s never a final chapter, because the legacy continues. You lend your light to one person, and he or she shines it on another and another and another.”

Oh! The Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss

Favorite quote: “Wherever you fly, you’ll be best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. Except when you don’t. Because, sometimes, you won’t. I’m sorry to say so but, sadly, it’s true that Bang-ups and Hang-ups can happen to you.”

Wild by Cheryl Strayer

Favorite quote: “It had nothing to do with gear or footwear or the backpacking fads or philosophies of any particular era or even with getting from point A to point B. It had to do with how it felt to be in the wild. With what it was like to walk for miles with no reason other than to witness the accumulation of trees and meadows, mountains and deserts, streams and rocks, rivers and grasses, sunrises and sunsets. The experience was powerful and fundamental. It seemed to me that it had always felt like this to be a human in the wild, and as long as the wild existed it would always feel this way.”

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Favorite quote: “Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever.”

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Favorite quote: “I was told love should be unconditional. That’s the rule, everyone says so. But if love has no boundaries, no limits, no conditions, why should anyone try to do the right thing ever? If I know I am loved no matter what, where is the challenge?” Here are 12 books you need to read before their movie comes out.

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Favorite quote: “Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.” Quotes from books for kids often hold special meaning—for adults and youngsters alike.

But What if We’re Wrong by Chuck Klosterman

Favorite quote: “The ultimate failure of the United States will probably not derive from the problems we see or the conflicts we wage. It will more likely derive from our uncompromising belief in the things we consider unimpeachable and idealized and beautiful. Because every strength is a weakness, if given enough time.”

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Favorite quote: “Autonomy, complexity, and a connection between effort and reward—are, most people will agree, the three qualities that work has to have if it is to be satisfying.”

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Favorite quote: “It’s only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything.”

I Was Told There’d Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

Favorite quote: “People are less quick to applaud you as you grow older. Life starts out with everyone clapping when you take a poo and goes downhill from there.” Here are 20 books we bet you never knew were banned.

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

Favorite quote: “You only have to forgive once. To resent, you have to do it all day, every day.” Quotes from books that have also been made into movies, such as The Light Between Oceans, are doubly powerful. These 19 compassion quotes will remind you to be kind to each other.

Naked by David Sedaris

Favorite quote: “I haven’t the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.”

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson

Amazon.com

Favorite quote: “Each of us is more than the worst thing we’ve ever done.”

The Road to Character by David Brooks

Favorite quote: “Recovering from suffering is not like recovering from a disease. Many people don’t come out healed; they come out different.” These are the 10 surprising books every teen should read before high school.

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Favorite quote: “I would not have you descend into your own dream. I would have you be a conscious citizen of this terrible and beautiful world.”

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Amazon.com

Favorite quote: “Anger and embarrassment are often neighbors.” Quotes from books written by celebrities are some of the best in the world.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Favorite quote: “I like large parties. They’re so intimate. At small parties, there isn’t any privacy.”

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Favorite quote: “They say you really appreciate a garden only once you reach a certain age … There seems to be something miraculous about seeing the relentless optimism of new growth after the bleakness of winter, a kind of joy in the difference every year.”

Originally Published on Reader's Digest

Use magic Report

Post time 26-3-2019 05:52 PM | Show all posts
Quotes by Elliot Perlman (book author)

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Comments

Silap thread ni. Patut quotes on reading bla bla tu :)  Post time 27-3-2019 09:40 AM

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 27-3-2019 09:41 AM | Show all posts
“It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.”
—Autumn Leaves by André Gide

Use magic Report

Post time 27-3-2019 01:16 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
“Be yourself and people will like you.”
—Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Jeff Kinney

“It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.”
—Autumn Leaves, André Gide

“Sometimes weak and wan, sometimes strong and full of light. The moon understands what it means to be human.”
—Shatter Me, Tahereh Mafi

“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.”
—Peter Pan, J.M. Barrie

“Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
—Phrynette Married, Marthe Troly-Curtin

“When you can’t find someone to follow, you have to find a way to lead by example.”
—Bad Feminist, Roxane Gay

“She decided long ago that life was a long journey. She would be strong, and she would be weak, and both would be okay.”
—Furthermore, Tahereh Mafi

“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.”
—The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

“The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
—The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath, Sylvia Plath

“Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and unsurprised by anything in between.”
—I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou

“It is a curious thought, but it is only when you see people looking ridiculous that you realize just how much you love them.”
—An Autobiography, Agatha Christie

“And, now that you don’t have to be perfect you can be good.”
—East of Eden, John Steinbeck

“A friend may be waiting behind a stranger’s face.”
—Letter to My Daughter, Maya Angelou

“We all require devotion to something more than ourselves for our lives to be endurable.”
—Being Mortal, Atul Gawande

“There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.”
—The Truth About Forever, Sarah Dessen

“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
—Les Misérables, Victor Hugo

“Each of us is more than the worst thing we’ve ever done.”
—Just Mercy, Bryan Stevenson

“It was all very well to be ambitious, but ambition should not kill the nice qualities in you.”
—Ballet Shoes, Noel Streatfeild

“Just because your version of normal isn’t the same as someone else’s version doesn’t mean that there’s anything wrong with you.
—The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket, John Boyne

“There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for.”
—The Two Towers, J.R.R. Tolkien

“There is nothing sweeter in this sad world than the sound of someone you love calling your name.”
—The Tale of Despereaux, Kate DiCamillo

“I don’t understand it any more than you do, but one thing I’ve learned is that you don’t have to understand things for them to be.”
—A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L’Engle

“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
—Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery

“It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”
—The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho

“‘What day is it?’, asked Winnie the Pooh.
‘It’s today,’ squeaked Piglet.
‘My favorite day,’ said Pooh.”
—The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, A. A. Milne

“I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
—Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

“So many things are possible just as long as you don’t know they’re impossible.”
—The Phantom Tollbooth, Norton Juster

“Love doesn’t just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new.”
—The Lathe of Heaven, Ursula K. Le Guin

Sumber: google

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 27-3-2019 03:33 PM | Show all posts
“Be yourself and people will like you.”
—Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-3-2019 05:56 AM | Show all posts
“Because sometimes the best leaders are the ones who have no interest in leading. Those are often the ones who are most interested in doing what is right, not what is popular.”

JOELLE CHARBONNEAU, INDEPENDENT STUDY

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-3-2019 05:58 AM | Show all posts
“If you were alone when you were born, alone when you were dying, really absolutely alone when you were dead, why “learn to be alone” in between? If you had forgotten, it would quickly come back to you. Aloneness was like riding a bike. At gunpoint. With the gun in your own hand. Aloneness was the air in your tires, the wind in your hair. You didn’t have to go looking for it with open arms.”

LORRIE MOORE, BARK: STORIES

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-3-2019 05:59 AM | Show all posts
“Fear lives in the head. And courage lives in the heart. The job is to get from one to the other.”

LOUISE PENNY, THE LONG WAY HOME

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-3-2019 05:59 AM | Show all posts
“I think I can live without you, but it won’t be any kind of life.”

RAINBOW ROWELL, LANDLINE

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-3-2019 06:00 AM | Show all posts
“I know a thousand different smiles, each with its own nuanced shade of meaning, but I don’t know how to reach the few feet away to touch this person next to me. I don’t know how to talk to him. Not when it’s real.”

AMIE KAUFMAN, THESE BROKEN STARS

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 29-3-2019 06:01 AM | Show all posts
“That was the worst thing about having a relationship with someone, even a pretend relationship. You opened up, let someone in, and when it was over, they had all the ammunition they needed to completely destroy you.”

SARRA MANNING, YOU DON’T HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE ME

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-3-2019 06:01 AM | Show all posts
“I began to realize how important it was to be an enthusiast in life. He taught me that if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it and above all become passionate about it. Lukewarm is no good. Hot is no good either. White hot and passionate is the only thing to be.”

ROALD DAHL, MY UNCLE OSWALD

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-3-2019 06:02 AM | Show all posts
“An unarticulated crush is very different from an unrequited one, because at least with an unrequited crush you know what the hell you’re doing, even if the other person isn’t doing it back. An unarticulated crush is harder to grapple with, because it’s a crush that you haven’t even admitted to yourself. The romantic forces are all there – you want to see him, you always notice him, you treat every word from him as if it weighs more than anyone else’s. But you don’t know why. You don’t know that you’re doing it. You’d follow him to the end of the earth without ever admitting that your feet were moving.”

DAVID LEVITHAN, GEEKTASTIC: STORIES FROM THE NERD HERD

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-3-2019 06:03 AM | Show all posts
“Or perhaps is is that time doesn’t heal wounds at all, perhaps that is the biggest lie of them all, and instead what happens is that each wound penetrates the body deeper and deeper until one day you find that the sheer geography of your bones - the angle of your hips, the sharpness of your shoulders, as well as the luster of your eyes, the texture of your skin, the openness of your smile - has collapsed under the weight of your griefs.”

THRITY UMRIGAR, THE SPACE BETWEEN US

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

18-4-2024 07:22 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.168480 second(s), 49 queries .