Register

ADVERTISEMENT

123Next
Return to list New
View: 5036|Reply: 50

[Tempatan] Move ON. Dulu pilot AirAsia kini barista

[Copy link]
Post time 3-3-2021 01:02 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Malaysian pilot sisters step up as family breadwinners by doing barista, delivery work
Tuesday, 02 Mar 2021 04:07 PM MYT
BY TAN MEI ZI

(From left) Safia Amira Abu Bakar and her sister Safia Anisa have been taking on alternative jobs to support their family as their father is set to retire soon. — Picture courtesy of AirAsia

PETALING JAYA, Mar 2 — Malaysian pilot sisters Safia Anisa Abu Bakar and Safia Amira Abu Bakar are not letting the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic stop them from supporting their family.

Anisa, 24, has been working as a barista while her sister Amira, 29, has taken up delivery jobs to make ends meet.

In conjunction with International Women’s Day on March 8, Malay Mail spoke with the sisters to find out what fuels their drive to step up as the family breadwinners during this tough period.

The two women, who are both senior first officers with AirAsia, were at the height of their careers when the first movement control order (MCO) kicked in last March, leading to the closure of Malaysia’s borders and the grounding of flights.

Anisa recalled feeling “terrified” when the first wave of the pandemic swept across the globe and had no way of envisioning the massive impact it would have on her career.

“The cases were spiking around the world and things were happening at such a rapid pace that we barely had time to comprehend what was going on, let alone what it meant for the travel industry,” said Anisa.

With nowhere to fly, the sisters began searching for other means to support their parents and their younger siblings.

Anisa now brews cups of joe part-time at a coffee chain and confessed that it was a big transition to go from working inside a cockpit to handling espresso machines behind the counter.

“I decided to get a job as a part-time barista because I’ve always had an interest in it, though it was definitely challenging at first.

“I was used to sitting down in the cockpit for eight hours so changing to a job scope that entails standing up while cleaning, attending to customers, and making food and beverages for the same duration meant it took time for me to adapt, especially since it was my first experience working in the F&B industry.”

Anisa saw an opportunity to become a barista after flights were grounded due to the pandemic last year. — Picture courtesy of AirAsia

One of the biggest motivators for Anisa to keep striving through this challenging period is her responsibility towards her family.

Her father, who is also a pilot with AirAsia, is set to retire soon and Anisa wants to put her parents’ minds at ease by ensuring their financial security.

“Our dad tells us not to worry, but yes, as working children, we definitely feel the need (to provide) and we’re really trying our best to step up.

“My sister is constantly looking for new business ideas and opportunities for us to venture into.

“It’s also the reason I’m still working part-time while also trying to kickstart a business,” said Anisa.

It was a similar struggle for Amira who had to find other ways of making an income shortly after the harsh realities of the pandemic set in.

“Before the MCO started, we were doing quite a number of flights amidst the virus spreading.

“Then, it went down drastically as travel restrictions were imposed and I started to think of what was going to happen to my job and my future.

“This pandemic has affected my life greatly — my job, my future plans, my family, everything,” said Amira.

Amira was then temporarily roped in to join the delivery team at AirAsia’s logistics arm Teleport where she helped to deliver goods on the ground.

She was grateful that her pilot skills came in handy as they made the switch to delivery work a seamless one.

“There weren’t many challenges for me. It’s more like flying but on-ground and a lot easier,” she said.

Amira and Anisa previously went viral on Twitter in 2019 after their father left his job at another flight carrier to join AirAsia for the chance to fly with his daughters.

A photo of the sisters with their dad in the cockpit warmed the hearts of social media users who couldn’t help but marvel at their familial bond.

Amira said her father has been a pillar of strength for her during the past year which has wreaked havoc on the airline industry.

The pandemic also bore a silver lining for their family as the three pilots finally got to spend more time with each other at home.

“I’ve never seen him at home this much, always my mum but not him.

“He advised us to stay strong, keep praying, and never give up.

“If this doesn’t work out, there are many other options out there,” said Amira.

With Covid-19 vaccinations rolling out across Malaysia and the world, the sisters are hopeful for a brighter future ahead in the airline industry and hope to return to their full-time jobs at AirAsia soon.

In the spirit of International Women’s Day, Anisa is rooting for working women whose careers have been upended by the pandemic and hopes they can get back to the grind soon.

“Better days are coming, especially with the vaccines now being rolled out so we just have to push through and keep our faith.

“I know there are a lot of women out there who have it harder than others, and it definitely puts things in perspective.

“But just know we’re always praying for our collective good fortunes, and we will always try to help out during these challenging times in any way we can.”

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 3-3-2021 01:16 PM | Show all posts
Alhamdulillah..rezeki ada dimana-mana

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 01:20 PM | Show all posts
Baguslah mahu mencuba bidang lain asalkan mendatangkan pendapatan

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 01:21 PM | Show all posts
Akak masih menunngu tajuk "Dulu wedding planner, sekarang bawa teksi sapu"

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 01:24 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Wedding planner dan Andaman Pengantin je bodoh.... main Smule dan Wesing time PKP...hujung2 memekak takda pendapatan.

Bodoh...contoh

[youtube]h7_uijAa9sM[/youtube]

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 01:27 PM | Show all posts
congrat pakcik sebab berjaya besar kn anak2 dgn baik.. nasib kita ni susah nk diduga kdg di atas kdg dibawah..

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 3-3-2021 01:35 PM | Show all posts
Redmyvi replied at 3-3-2021 01:27 PM
congrat pakcik sebab berjaya besar kn anak2 dgn baik.. nasib kita ni susah nk diduga kdg di atas kdg ...

itulah adventure dlm kehidupan

kalau asyik up je tak down bosan jugak

sama gak ngn asyik down tak up

pasti bosan

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 01:37 PM | Show all posts
Semoga dimurahkan rezeki orang yang rajin berusaha.
Mana tau habis covid boleh fly semula..

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 3-3-2021 01:37 PM | Show all posts
rajamoney replied at 3-3-2021 01:35 PM
itulah adventure dlm kehidupan

kalau asyik up je tak down bosan jugak

haha betul la tu.. kalau dulu up tetiba down okla pnh merasa senang.. yg down tak up2 lgsung ni apa cerita duk takuk tu jala smpai berlumut

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 01:53 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Redmyvi replied at 3-3-2021 01:27 PM
congrat pakcik sebab berjaya besar kn anak2 dgn baik.. nasib kita ni susah nk diduga kdg di atas kdg ...

Adakah pakcik guna kabel untuk memastikan anak2 beliau berjaya?

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 02:02 PM | Show all posts
sudah-sudah la asyik nak up T20 ni..
baru susah setahun merata manjang kisah dijaja..
masa gaji berpuluh ribu sebulan tu tak reti menyimpan ke..
banyak lagi marhaen hilang kerja tak tau nak buat apa sara keluarga..
yang ini patut kita war-warkan supaya pihak tersebut nampak kesusahan rakyat..

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 02:06 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
prettyuglybabe replied at 3-3-2021 02:02 PM
masa gaji be ...

YG marhean tengah Smule Dan WeSing

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 02:36 PM | Show all posts
prettyuglybabe replied at 3-3-2021 02:02 PM
masa gaji be ...

dorang ni sure asset banyak...
esp property...
boleh liquidate...

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 02:47 PM | Show all posts
suka la barista,kadang2 berangan nk kerja barista

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-3-2021 07:21 PM | Show all posts
dia baru lagi kan jadi pilot
so gaji dlm RM20K rasanya

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 07:32 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
X la uols... Member ak pilot basic gj dia rendah elaun fly yg banyak... Tgk mn dia pergi... Lg jauh lg byk la elaun

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 3-3-2021 07:39 PM | Show all posts
R2D2 replied at 3-3-2021 07:21 PM
dia baru lagi kan jadi pilot
so gaji dlm RM20K rasanya

Tak sampai rasanya.....
Mungkin dalam 12-15k termasuk elaun
itu belum ditolak income tax

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 08:19 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
notM replied at 3-3-2021 01:24 PM
Wedding planner dan Andaman Pengantin je bodoh.... main Smule dan Wesing time PKP...hujung2 memekak  ...

Sama gak mcm makcik2 kantin yg memekak kata x leh meniaga cuti sekolah.. Aku tgk kat kwsn aku ni.. Elok je makcik2 kantin duk promote makanan kuih muih kat fb.. Staff dia org anta delivery ke rumah customer.. Siap tulis lg makcik kantin sekolah A,Sekolah B..

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 10:03 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
dua_chzy replied at 3-3-2021 01:53 PM
Adakah pakcik guna kabel untuk memastikan anak2 beliau berjaya?

hihihi...i suka komen chuolsss...that’s why kat thread mana tah dulu, i penah cakap, pilot ni kerjaya nepotism..org yg x faham je, dok pandang tinggi kat pilot..(iols ni obvious sgt kah tak suka kat pilot?)...hihihi

Use magic Report

Post time 3-3-2021 10:08 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
exclusive_vvip replied at 3-3-2021 10:03 PM
hihihi...i suka komen chuolsss...that’s why kat thread mana tah dulu, i penah cakap, pilot ni ker ...

Pastu ramai yang keputusan SPM tidaklha seberapa namun karna ada parent pilot/parents non pilot tapi mampo bergolok gadai jadikan anak pilot, maka anak2 mereka pun berjaya lah.

Anak2 orang miskin? Paling2 berjaya pun jadik cikgu atau engineer je...Korang pernah jumpa anak orang miskin B40 penerima bantuan jadik doktor ka pilot? Akak tak pernah.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

20-4-2024 08:23 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.119830 second(s), 49 queries .