Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: BeanDiesel

What's good about your religion?

[Copy link]
Post time 10-7-2006 11:58 AM | Show all posts

I got it from the net

Question: I was flipping through this book the other day called 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam' and it is filled with fun facts. One of them concerns the term 'Mosque'. This book pointed out that the term 'mosque' is derived from the Spanish word for 'mosquito'. It was termed as such because during the Crusades, King Ferdinand said they were going to go and swat the Muslims 'like mosquitoes'. Please let me know.
Answer: From my research, I have found that there are four possible origins for the word 'mosque' in the English language. The first possibility is that it derives from the French word 'mosquee' that existed during the period in French linguistic history known as 'Middle French'. The second possibility is that it is a derivative of the Arabic word 'masjid'. The third possibility is that it derives from the Old Italian word 'moschea' and the final possibility is that it comes from the Old Spanish word 'mezquita'. These various words were used to describe the Muslim place of worship in the various languages mentioned.
My research found no indication that mosque was derived from the word 'mosquito'. Regarding the appearance of the term mosque in the English language, scholars suggest it was around 1711 AD. This is far after King Ferdinand and the Crusades. It might be that the term 'mezquita,' used to describe a masjid in old Spanish, came from the word 'mosquito' and then subsequently the term 'mezquita' was used to form the term mosque. However, this would not mean that the term mosque was developed as a result of the story you related.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

samerosie This user has been deleted
Post time 10-7-2006 12:10 PM | Show all posts
Thank you, but can I suggest that you read first the article til the end before you post.  Don't la just blame the net.

[ Last edited by  samerosie at 10-7-2006 12:11 PM ]

Use magic Report

Iman_6 This user has been deleted
Post time 10-7-2006 12:10 PM | Show all posts
I was flipping through this book the other day called 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam'  From F13

No wonderlah this padre always hinting on mosque with mosquito...  Even with the explanation bolded by Rosie from his own link also cannot grasp the meaning  ma...

btw.. the correct term is "masjid" = "sajada/sujud" =prostration.

A very good link to read

What is a masjid?
: http://www.islamic-awareness.org ... xternal/aqsa.html#2

Use magic Report

bob This user has been deleted
Post time 10-7-2006 12:29 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by 13Friday at 10-7-2006 11:58 AM
Question: I was flipping through this book the other day called 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam' and it is filled with fun facts. One of them concerns the term 'Mosque'. This boo ...

no wonder. you have been reading the idiot's series. how idiotic of the book. so, how do you find the explanation for idiots? does it fits any idiot profiles? in fact once you have finish the idiot series, you should read the dummy series.

however, if you feel that you have gained enough knowledge to wean from the idiot series or the dummy series, you should start reading the serious stuff. just an advise.

Use magic Report

Post time 10-7-2006 06:39 PM | Show all posts
Islam allows me to think and analyse what is good and bad....what should be followed and not. Allah gave me a brain to decide what is best for me and most of all I learned to be more accepting to others as I believe that we are all children of god. The best way to describe this is from Dr. Shahid Athar, October 21, 2001.

When we close our hearts to others, our eyes are closed to see the beauty of God in them. The message of Islam, Judaism, Christianity and all other religions is one of love and service to others.

If God decides to care and love and feed even those who deny his existence, then who are we to deprive someone else of our love just because he is of different color or speaks a different language or is born in a different country or prays to the same God but in a different direction, using different words?

We must try to transcend the barriers among humans so that we break the barriers between humans and God. We must see ourselves in others and we must see God in each of us. We must love others in order to be loved by God, and we must enter into surrender peacefully, willingly and wholeheartedly.

Thank you.

Use magic Report

Post time 10-7-2006 09:18 PM | Show all posts

who is IDIOT?

a title name and never accept something different.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
bob This user has been deleted
Post time 10-7-2006 09:29 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by 13Friday at 10-7-2006 09:18 PM
a title name and never accept something different.

not "who"... but "what". who refers to a person and i dont refer to any person. i refer to the books. that is why i correct you i.e. not "who" ..but "what".

terase ye..

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

10-5-2024 03:24 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.546427 second(s), 29 queries .