CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: isabel

Others Asian Country ~ Entertainment News & Info HERE!

[Copy link]
Post time 12-10-2006 12:26 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

An ode to cinema of the 1950s
October 03, 2006 14:07 IST
Last Updated: October 03, 2006 15:42 IST

One of the screenwriters behind cult film Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron, Sudhir Mishra has always had a strong female protagonist in all his directorial ventures -- Shabana Azmi in Dharavi, Rani Mukerji in Calcutta Mail,  Kareena Kapoor in Chameli or Chitrangda Singh in Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi.

With predictable certainty, his next, Bahut Nikle Mere Armaan, will also revolve around a female character -- this time an actress from the 1950s. The film is set in the Hindi film industry of the time.

Bahut Nikle... is about the tussle between talent and life, between where talent takes you, and your relationships. In the film he depicts how relationships become problematic when two talented people -- a director and an actor -- are involved with each other.

Sudhir claims that this will be his 'least dark' film. Dharavi revolved around the life of a taxi driver and his wife who lived in Asia's largest slum, and was about their hopeless dream of becoming rich. Chameli brought out a prostitute's life and made us cringe when Kareena Kapoor was being forced to sleep with a guy suffering from a sexual disease.

Sudhir has a way of presenting such uncomfortable facts via a compelling narrative, inviting interest in topics one would normally turn a blind eye toward.

Recreating a film in another era is no mean task. For Sudhir, making this movie is an ode to a time and the people of that time. He assures you there is no sleaze in the film. As he animatedly talks about the film you realise his love for that era, its directors and actors.

"I admire the passion they had for their work. The film is about spirited, bohemian people who put their personal wealth and studios at stake to make films. The characters of my film are not based on specific actors. I have drawn references from the lives of directors and actors in that time who were emotionally attached to films. My film is a homage to them."

Sudhir says he will try to show their passion and dedication towards films. To paint that era he spoke to some people from that time who are still around, watched their films and researched their lives. His cast is also working overtime to learn nuances from the period. Soha Ali Khan, playing an actress from that era, is going through diction classes, learning Kathak (because the heroines of that time were great dancers), horse riding, sword fighting etc.

The director had first offered the role to Vidya Balan. When she turned it down, due to date problems, he cast Soha. "Soha has the classic kind of face that lends itself to a period film," he explains, defending his choice of the female cast.

Soha, who proved her mettle in Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra's Rang De Basanti, is very excited about Bahut Nikle Mere Armaan. "The role is challenging. It's very different from Sudhir's usual fare. It's not a political film, it's romantic. I will get a chance to do play all the actresses I have loved -- from a Nadira to a Meena Kumari to a Waheeda Rehman to the 1950s to 1960s actresses. I am terrified to live up to those images."

Shiney Ahuja will be playing the lead role -- that of a director from the 1950s. Interestingly, Shiney also plays a director in Mohit Suri's Woh Lamhe and Anurag Basu's Metro.

The shooting of Bahut Nikle Mere Armaan starts this month.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 12-10-2006 12:37 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

SRK: Sonia Gandhi is someone you can admire
October 03, 2006 16:47 IST

His public statements idolising UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi may have set off speculation of his interest in politics, but Shah Rukh Khan says his statement was an apolitical one stemming from his admiration for the Congress president. ''When I said Sonia Gandhi is a wonderful person, I said it quite apolitically," SRK told Karan Thapar on CNN-IBN Devil's Advocate.

''There is an image of her (Sonia) that I'd like to repeat again and again -- on a bus, in an election rally and with children -- a very strong emotion to me as I am attached to the figure of a mother. For me, she is a strong lady, someone you can admire.'' The actor admitted though that his statement, even though said apolitically, may not have been taken as such. ''It is possible that people may not have taken my statement as an apolitical one. After all, my job is vulnerable and dangerous. Still, I'd like to stand by what I said."

Shah Rukh also clarified that his statement had nothing to do with her party being in power. ''It's just that nobody asked me my opinion about her before,'' he said.

On the Union Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss taking objection to scenes of Shah Rukh smoking a cigarette in his forthcoming film, Don, SRK said, "I will not go to the extent of saying that smoking is artistic in cinema and that is why we are having this problem. However, the larger issue involved here is, today it is smoking in films, tomorrow what?" He went on to say that he believed the Indian masses were literate enough to not start smoking simply because an actor did. "I feel the powers that be should look at bigger health issues than smoking in films,'' he said.

To the Health Minister's appeal to stars like SRK to stop endorsing soft drinks, the superstar said, "I'd like to appeal to any authority that, if cold drinks are harmful, don't allow their production in the country. Similarly, if smoking is bad, do not permit production of cigarettes in the country. My logic is you are not stopping it, despite saying it is harmful, just because it gives the government revenue. Don't stop my revenue. After all, I am an actor. I am supposed to do a job and get revenue from it.''

He admitted he may not be right about smoking himself though, adding that he was trying to cut down on its consumption. At the same time, he said that nobody had a right to tell a person what to do as long as he was not harming someone else.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-10-2006 12:23 PM | Show all posts
Confessions from the KANK writer
October 11, 2006 17:22 IST

Shibani Bhatija

Kajol is very spontaneous and could be pulling somebody's hair before the shot," said Shibani Bhatija, who wrote the script for the Aamir Khan-Kajol starrer Fanaa and co-wrote director Karan Johar's Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna. "Then the shot's called and she's crying in a minute; whereas Aamir works himself into things gradually."

Bhatija was speaking at an event hosted by the South Asian American Films and Art Association at the Arts India Gallery in Manhattan, New York, October 7, when she shared these tidbits with an audience of about 25 people. She was in New York after a tour to meet students of South Asian descent at Stanford, the University of California, and the Boston-Cambridge area, as part of research for a story.

The audience comprised at least five writers; Ayan, an assistant director on KANK; young student and aspiring actor Vishal Bhalla and his father; and some Hindi movie fans. Kiran Khaira, director of the South Asian American Films and Art Association's New York chapter, asked Bhatija questions for the first half of the discussion, and then opened the floor to the audience.

After completing her studies in the United States, Bhatija said, she returned to India to do programme development at Sony Entertainment Television. "I was horrible to the writers," she confessed. "You see some things a certain way and you want them to be that way, but you can't make people do that. And it's especially difficult for the writers since they're working on three and four shows at a time. I decided to stop being an ogre and write something myself, and I did my first script."

Bhatija confirmed that the horror stories about how long it takes a screenplay to become a Bollywood film are true.

"I was very fortunate since I've actually known Karan Johar since he was born," she admitted. "He read my first script and passed it on to Aditya Chopra at YashRaj (Films) and so in that sense the introduction was not as grueling as for others, though that's just a foot in the door. I was actually working on other projects at YashRaj and writing for four years before Fanaa was released."

As she talked about having her writing brought to life on screen, Bhatija revealed: "Fanaa was my story, my characters, I wrote the screenplay and developed it along with the producer, Aditya Chopra, before Kunal (Kohli, the director) even got into it. But it really is a director's medium and that's the bottom line. The first half of Fanaa was somewhat different than what I had envisioned. The director does what he wishes, but at the end of the day if people felt for the characters and their journey, then that job is done."

"These are things you learn the more you work," she continued. "It's difficult to take the first time it happens, because it's your baby and all that, but it is a collaborative medium and I've learned a lot from the experience."

Bhatija said India was never a choice for the location of KANK. "Because the story was not India-based in its origin," she admitted. "Quite honestly, if two people have to have an affair living in a city like Bombay, three days later they'd be found out. You can't be hanging out in cafes, and not have somebody who knows somebody. It really had to be an international location where you can be relatively anonymous."

When asked how new scriptwriters can get a toehold in Bollywood, she admitted it's hard, because there are so many hopes and aspirations of people from all walks of life trying to get into the show business. She mentioned that YashRaj Films' creative director does accept submissions, but she stressed that it's a matter of being persistent, networking and trying to "find someone who has a friend who has a friend who can get you in the door to speak to somebody."

One young woman asked for tips on how to write a script for the first time, to which Bhatija suggested reading a lot of screenplays and comparing them to the films. The scriptwriter added that formal classes are helpful for understanding structure.

Bhatija said she loves observing people and she manages to retain small traits in her memory, "as if by osmosis," that come back to her later. "I do eavesdrop," She also admitted. "I write in cafes a lot. It's entertaining, especially as a lot of young people hang out there and you get great insight to their lives."

A young African-American woman wondered about the increasing appeal of Hindi cinema outside of India, and the subtle trend toward more reality in some Bollywood movies.

"You want some universality that can reach people all over," Bhatija replied. "But that being said, the way of looking at the world is different from culture to culture. Our films may not do as well as Iranian films, for example, on the festival circuit. But we don't care because our audience, including and excluding the Diaspora, is so large that we don't have to care about catering to the Western mindset and Western way of looking at films. So if Indians in general -- and I'm generalising here -- like to wear a lot of gold jewellery, bright colours, we like to have spicy foods, our sweets are drenched in sugar, we like excess. And if our films have a bit of excess it's because it comes naturally for who we are," she continued. "And we don't need to change that because we have enough audience from who we are."

Bhatija was circumspect about what she is doing next. "A couple of things are happening, but it's too early to get into now," she said. "I have one script in development and another, I'm in a quest for a story. They're definitely different spaces than Fanaa or Kabhi Alvida..."

Use magic Report

Post time 15-10-2006 12:27 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Boman Irani's mission in Don
October 12, 2006

Boman Irani in Don

I'm here to investigate actor Boman Irani's latest role -- as supercop and Deputy Commissioner of Police -- in director Farhan Akhtar's remake of the 1978 Bollywood thriller and superhit, Don.

DCP D'Silva is no ordinary cop. He's got a tough mission ahead of him --  to capture Don -- a ruthless criminal and gangster (played by Shah Rukh Khan in the remake, Amitabh Bachchan in the original). The nifty Don, escapes the clutches of the DCP time and again. But the determined cop patiently plots and plans to how to ensnare his prey.

Boman, like the rest of the Don cast, has a tough mission head of him -- to give a new spin to a character, originally played by Ifthkar Khan. Will he ape the original DCP's mannerisms? Will the new DCP also have a funny bone like many of Boman's other characters?

Lucky Singh alias Dr JC Asthana alias Khurana alias Inspector Tejpal alias Boman Irani talks to Merril Diniz about his take on the supercop, his off-screen clashes with the Don himself aka Shah Rukh Khan and some spicy snippets about his upcoming roles in Eklavya and Honeymoon Travels Pvt Ltd.

You like to delve deep into the characters you play. How would you describe DCP D'Silva?

It's a straight role. He's got a single-minded approach -- to track down Don.

Whether he gets Vijay, a country bumpkin who resembles the Don (Shah Rukh in a double role) to the job or pose as Don, the DCP has to do it in a clever, cunning, but humane way. And he gets more and more desperate, because he is chasing him, breathing down his neck all the time, and yet, the guy escapes. The DCP is really desperate to crack the gang.

I think D'Silva is an interesting character; he has lots to think about because he is playing a game with the underworld. He needs to outsmart one of the smartest guys that he has ever encountered. There's nothing comical about it. The moment you bring in humour to a situation like that, D'Silva is the wrong guy for it because Don is a breakneck thriller. I don't think the character's motivations allow him to be funny at all. At the same time, he's interesting because D'Silva is thinking all the time. Every minute.

Also, the DCP at home is different from the guy at work.

Is it tough to put a new spin on an iconic character?

There is a body that you own and there is only so much you can do with it. I do take pride in the fact that the body language in Being Cyrus is very different from that of Lucky Singh in Lage Rago Munnabhai and the nervous Darna Mana Hai character.

I do whatever I have to do from the preparation that goes into my head. And by preparation, I don't mean that I have to say my lines 500 times. Preparation is only reflection. So, to me doing a cop is doing the cop the best way I could. I never think about Iftekar having played it in a particular way. And the moment I say he's played it like this, and this is the way I will play it, then you've already gone and put your foot in your mouth. You've got to do it how you think is best for the role and not how someone else as played it.

You've already played a cop in My Wife's Murder. Is the DCP very different from Inspector Tejpal?

The stakes are higher for DCP Silva because he is planting a country bumpkin into a Don's suit. So his worry quotient is more. Whereas the guy in My Wife's Murder is sailing through and getting pleasure in seeing the other guy squirm because he is the master at his game. D'Silva is not at the top of his game because he is getting ruined every time Don eludes him.

In a way, Don and D'Silva are similar because they are both playing a game and pulling tricks on each other. But one is on the right side of the law, the other is on the wrong side of the law.

Tell us about your real life clashes with the Don aka Shah Rukh?

Unbelievable! It takes a lot for a guy to charm me (laughs). But he is one of the most charming people I have ever met and at the same time, it's not an act.

He's also terrific fun. In fact, he thinks like D'Silva. His mind works overtime. He does not stop thinking. I've never seen his mind not going 10 steps ahead whether it's the scene or whether it is planning what we are going to do after the shoot. He's a thinking actor. He's interested in all the roles in the film, and he's interested in the people in the film. He's interested in their comfort levels. He interested what we are doing tonight and tomorrow. There's never a dull moment with him around. He actually arranged for trophies and placed them in his room where we used to play playstation. And we would play till the wee hours of the morning. I won't tell you who won.

Er... who won?

If I tell you, I might lose a good friend because I don't know how sore a loser he is (laughs).

You've worked with Farhan Akhtar in Lakshya where you played Hrithik Roshan's father. What was it like second time round?

Farhan and I have gotten very fond of each other. It takes time sometimes especially in this day and age, where most friends you make are in school and college.

Also, I think Farhan sees the serious side in me. I'm proud of the way he thinks and casts.

Being perceived as a guy who does comedy, I am lucky that people like Vidhu Vinod Chopra, Farhan Akhtar, Ram Gopal Varma, Yash Chopra have all cast me in very, very serious roles. I have a very dark role in Eklavya (by Vidhu Vinod Chopra). It's one of the darkest characters I have ever encountered. When the comedy is selling, it's fine. But why would they risk making me play a dark, grim character? Because they believe in me.

Is it a cliche that comedy is the most difficult to create?

Yes. Nothing is easy. Not even slapstick comedy. Try pretending to slip on a banana skin. You can't do it! Even in Khosla Ka Ghosla, though it's a comedy, Khurana's character is not a comedian. Even Lucky Singh is a tough nut to crack. He may laugh, he may joke but he's also hard. The moment you say, "Lucky why don't you give them the plot of land to the old people?", he'll say "Get out!"

Which role has challenged you the most so far?

Eklavya. It's a complex role. The film can be set in any time. It could be a medieval drama even though it is contemporary. It's about loyalty and deceit within the walls of a palace. It's got Amitabh Bachchan, Saif Ali Khan, Sanjay Dutt, Sharmila Tagore, Jackie Shroff, Vidya Balan and Jimmy Shergill. Everything seems very straightforward on the surface but there are some secrets in the palace.

Lucky Singh was also difficult to play. If I was a Sardar and did it stereotypically, I would have been forgiven. But I'm a Parsi. Someone told director Rajkumar Hirani, "Parsi hi mila kya? Koi doosra nahi mila kya?" It was a joke, but it gave me a reason to go for it. And I went for it. There was not even an iota of a Parsi in that role.

Will we ever see you in a romantic role?

My character in Honeymoon Travels Pvt Ltd is a romantic role. I'm married to Shabana Azmi. I play Oscar Fernandes, a 50-year old middle-class Catholic guy, and Shabana plays a Muslim schoolteacher. It's a second marriage for both of us and we go our honeymoon in Goa. I don't know many people in their 50s who hold hands and whisper sweet nothings. How is he (Oscar) going to hold hands? The older you are, the more awkwardness there is to kiss and hold hands. There's a lot of innocence in the romance because they are not expected to hold hands.

Did you have interesting conversations with Shabana?

She's like one of the guys! I had one of the most satisfying acting experiences with Shabana because on location, we would drive to work together. We spoke so much about life that the acting just fell into place.

If by Rudyyard Kipling is my favourite poem. And Shabana and only Shabana Azmi could get me a perfume called If packaged in a box, which was in the shape of a book. On the inside, was printed the entire poem! She's been around so long and I consider her to be one of the finest actresses this country has produced. And here I am, a Johnny-come-lately discussing life and movies with this wonderful performer and person. And let's not get confused and think that Shabana Azmi has to make sense all the time. She's great fun too. I was just telling someone the other day, you don't have to make sense every minute of the day. Why can't we just talk nonsense sometimes?

Use magic Report

Post time 15-10-2006 12:29 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Fashion tips from TV stars
October 12, 2006

Television stars have always been very fashionable. From Sudha Chandran's bindis to Urvashi Dholakia's saris, they have set trends.
And they always turn out well, whether it's for a television show or a party. No wonder, they have a list of beauty secrets tucked away, so that they always look hot.

Some of the most fashionable TV actresses offer tips on beauty and wardrobe must-haves. Read on:

Shilpa Saklani

Rekha is the ultimate style diva. Some people are stylish but they are so in-your-face. Rekha is subtle. I admire women who put in time and effort to make sure they are well dressed even when they go for a cup of coffee.

Wardrobe must-haves: Denims, a white trouser, comfortable tops and shorts. I invest in a lot in jackets.

Tips: Always cleanse your face with cleansing milk and toner. I wash my face with cold water and rub ice on it in the morning.

One must not go in for blonde highlighting; it ruins your hair. I oil my hair once a week, which is not good enough. One needs to oil, shampoo and condition the hair at least twice a week.

One must drink a lot of water to have a flawless, glowing complexion.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-10-2006 12:30 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

October 12, 2006

Pooja Bedi

I love looking like a woman. I love clothes, accessories, long nails, long hair, colours, embroidery, the works... You will never find me in tee-shirt, jeans and running shoes. Even if I wear jeans, I'd wear a sexy top, jewellery and stilettos with it.

At any given time, you will find at least 10 outfits in my wardrobe, which I still haven't worn. My wardrobe constantly gets revamped because I have a wide variety of clothes.

Wardrobe must-haves: The wardrobe should include a formal dress, accessories, a pair of blue and black jeans and a good pair of sunglasses.

Tips: The cut and fit of your outfits is very important. It should accentuate your assets and minimise your flaws. I have a big butt. Whatever is on my lips hits on my hips.

Always wear outfits that suit your body type and your personality. If you have short legs, wear long skirts. Black makes you look slim and elegant.

Do not over-do makeup. Highlight the best feature of your face, which should be your look for the evening. Bright eyes go well with light lips. Use a nice base, have a flawless finish. Hide the blemishes of your skin. A good facial and cleanup once in two months helps. Cleansing, moisturising should be a daily ritual. Don't take your skin for granted. Keep your hands and legs supple and smooth to belie your age.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 15-10-2006 12:31 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

October 12, 2006

Shilpa Kadam

I am a jeans and tee girl and prefer the casual look. I love the colour pink, as it looks good on me.

Wardrobe must-haves: The must-haves in a wardrobe include a good pair of denim jeans, comfortable shirts, a formal set of trouser and shirt and a formal salwaar kameez. A white shirt and quintessential black dress are also must-haves. Black colour is a safe bet but if I have to go for a function where I know everybody is going to wear black, then I make it a point to avoid it. I don't want to get lost in a crowd.

Tips: The most important thing is to have good skin. Drink gallons of water so that your skin glows. If you have a good complexion, all you need is gloss, lipstick, kajal, mascara, blusher and you'll look gorgeous!

Always use make-up that compliments your complexion. If you're dusky, use a brown or chocolate coloured lipstick. If you're fair, a peach or pink lipstick will work wonders. It's important that each person studies and knows his body, skin and hair type. Check which clothes suit your body type, how your face reacts to certain products...

Use magic Report

Post time 15-10-2006 12:32 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

October 12, 2006

Shweta Kawatra

For me, style means being comfortable. But I'm not a jeans and tee girl as find it very difficult to get the right fit. I'm more of a Capri or shorts girl.

I can really dress down for a party. I did that for Gauri Pradhan's birthday bash. My hubby Manav Gohil and I were rehearsing for Nach Baliye 2, and then we decided to head home after that, dress quickly and go to the party. I was rehearsing in pyjamas and a tee-shirt. But we finished our rehearsal at midnight, and it was just too ambitious to go home and dress after that.

As Gauri was hosting a mix-n-match party, we got creative. Manav wore his jeans inside out and I wore a skirt on top of my pyjamas. We showed up like tramps!

Wardrobe must-haves: I like black as it makes me look thin. Every wardrobe must have a black trouser, a well-stitched formal shirt and a kurti. One must have comfortable clothes. If you wear figure-hugging stuff to look sexy, someone may just point out that you've put on weight!

Tips: This is my mum's homemade recipe for a face mask. I use a paste of besan (chickpea flour), honey, lime and curd. It has all the basics -- besan exfoliates, honey gives the face a glow and lime is a bleaching agent. So, it's an all-in-one pack.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 15-10-2006 12:33 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

When Shah Rukh got emotional
October 12, 2006 16:47 IST

Mumbai's ITC Grand Maratha Sheraton hotel witnessed quite a few film and television stars when Mushtaq Shiekh unveiled his new book, Still Reading Khan, a biography of Shah Rukh Khan.

Want to know more about SRK?

SRK, who launched the book, got especially emotional when a video clip showed images of his earlier home in Delhi -- the home where he lived with his parents before he moved to Mumbai.

"The best part of today's function was when I saw my old house in Delhi," he said. "It brought back memories of my mom and dad. I wish they were alive to see how much importance is given to me."

The clip also showed SRK's friends and colleagues like choreographer-turned-director Farah Khan, her brother actor-director Sajid Khan, producer Viveck Vaswani (in whose home SRK stayed for a year when he first came to Mumbai), filmmaker Subhash Ghai, director Farhan Akhtar (who's directing SRK's latest film, Don), Juhi Chawla's husband Jay Mehta and SRK's sister Shabeena Khan talking about the star and Mushtaq.

While most of them praised SRK, all Sajid seemed to love was Shah Rukh's 'big house and big car.'

Later, SRK laughed about Sajid's comments and said, "Sometimes I think that all I have is a big car and a big house, and nothing else."

After the book was launched, Shah Rukh invited his directors like Farah Khan, Aziz Mirza, Farhan Akhtar, Karan Johar, Abbas-Mustan on stage to cut a cake.

When the event was about to wind up, Ekta Kapoor, a close friend of Musthtaq, made her entry. Interestingly, Mushtaq wrote Balaji serials like Kya Hadsa Kya Hakeekat, Kahiin Toh Hoga and Kahani Ghar Ghar Kii for two years.

In the picture: Shah Rukh Khan, Gauri Khan, Mushtaq Shiekh, model-turned-actress Deepika Padukone. Deepika may star in Farah Khan's Om Shanti Om, starring SRK. Mushtaq is currently penning its script.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-10-2006 12:55 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

How Bollywood celebrates the festival of lights
October 13, 2006

Unlike the festivals of Holi and Karvachauth, Diwali does not always bring happiness in Bollywood films. Often Diwali firecrackers are used as a metaphor to portray turmoil in a character's life onscreen.
rediff.com takes a look at five prominent movies and their scenes of Diwali.

Waqt (1965)

Cast: Balraj Sahani, Achala Sachdev, Sunil Dutt, Shashi Kapoor, Raj Kumar, Sadhana, Sharmila Tagore and Rehman
Director: Yash Chopra

The famous Ae meri zohra jabeen in Waqt is still sung at wedding anniversaries.

In the film, it was sung at Diwali, when Balraj Sahani celebrates the start of his new business.

His wife (played by Achala Sachdev), who is busy distributing sweets, is taken by surprise and starts blushing when he sings this song for her. But just after the song, an earthquake destroys their lives when their three sons get separated.

The festival serves as a turning point in the film.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-10-2006 12:56 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

October 13, 2006

Anuraag (1972)

Cast: Ashok Kumar, Nutan, Vinod Mehra, Moushami Chatterjee and master Satyajeet
Director: Shakti Samanta

Anuraag is a story of a blind girl, played by Moushami Chatterjee, and a young boy Satyajeet who suffers from cancer. Satyajeet is on his death bed, and tells his grandfather (Ashok Kumar) that he would like to see the festival of lights before he dies.

The dying child's last wish is carried out a month before the festival starts.

The entire neighbourhood comes together to celebrate a Diwali, specially created for Satyajeet, in one of the film's most touching scenes.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-10-2006 12:57 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

October 13, 2006

Chachi 420 (1998)

Cast: Kamal Haasan, Tabu, Amrish Puri, Paresh Rawal and Om Puri
Director: Kamal Haasan

There is no Diwali scene really in this hilarious Kamal Haasan film. But it is evident that Diwali is around the corner.

Amrish Puri wants a governess for his granddaughter, whose parents have just been separated. But her father (Haasan) cannot bear the distance, and dresses up Tootsie-style, as a woman and approaches Puri for a job.

Unfortunately, the woman who comes for the job interview before him, gets selected for the governess' post. Just when he's about to turn around in despair, a firecracker goes off and threatens to injure the granddaughter.

Kamal instantly saves his child, and bags the job.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-10-2006 12:58 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

October 13, 2006

Mohabbatein (2000)

Cast: Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai, Uday Chopra, Jimmy Shergill and Jugal Hansraj, Shamita Shetty, Preeti Jhangiani and Kim Sharma
Director: Aditya Chopra

Diwali in Hindi movies usually signifies either a separation or a union. In Mohabbatein, it is union for three couples: Uday Chopra, Jimmy Shergill and Jugal Hansraj with their girlfriends Shamita Shetty, Preeti Jhangiani and Kim Sharma respectively.

The three men go against the rules of a school named Gurukul -- run according to the strict rules laid down by its headmaster Amitabh Bachchan -- which demands that students cannot fall in love.

But Shah Rukh, playing one of the teachers, encourages them to follow their heart. During Diwali, the three men sing Pairon mein bandhan, which unites them with their sweethearts.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-10-2006 12:59 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

October 13, 2006

Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001)

Cast: Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol, Hrithik Roshan and Kareena Kapoor
Director: Karan Johar

In this Karan Johar film, Diwali indicates how times change in the Raichand family.

In the opening scene, a Diwali puja is being performed by the senior Raichands (Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan). Her family is around her, and everyone seems happy.

Jaya is especially happy because it is the day her son (Shah Rukh Khan) will come home.

But years later, when the family gets divided, the same puja is heart-breaking. Only Jaya and her husband take part in the puja, as Shah Rukh and his wife Kajol have been ousted from the house, while Hrithik Roshan has left in search of them.

[ Last edited by  ldg at 15-10-2006 01:39 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 18-10-2006 12:14 PM | Show all posts
'I will always be remembered for Don'
October 16, 2006

The year was 1967. The place, Tanzania. Like other African countries troubled by race riots, the country was facing a politically uncertain future. It was then that a young banker called Chandra Barot (right) decided it was time to say goodbye to his motherland.

Barot's father had moved to Dar-es-Salam in 1930 and, when his son Chandra grew up, he got a job at Barclay's Bank. Now, his two brothers had already moved to England and settled down, so that seemed like a natural choice. But, before moving to London, Chandra traveled to Mumbai to meet his sister -- the singer Kamal Barot. He soon forgot about moving to London, and got involved in filmmaking instead.

"I was destined to be in Mumbai," says Barot today, thinking back.

After assisting director Manoj Kumar, he finally directed a film. His only film. Starring Amitabh Bachchan and Zeenat Aman, it was called, simply, Don.

In an interview with Syed Firdaus Ashraf, Chandra Barot talks about the project that changed his life, and what he thinks about the upcoming remake of his classic film.

Use magic Report

Post time 18-10-2006 12:17 PM | Show all posts
'I am sure Farhan will make a good film'
October 16, 2006

How did you first react to the news that Don was to be remade?
To begin with, I didn't get as much media attention while working on the original film in 1978! It has turned into a cult film, and everyone now wants to know more about it. I am very happy that Farhan Akhtar is working on a remake. I feel as if I am being rewarded for work I did 28 years ago.

Did you like the promos of Shah Rukh Khan's Don?

Farhan and his producers took a No Objection Certificate from me before going ahead with their film. He told me he would give the film a new look. I like Farhan's work; I liked his Dil Chahta Hai. People are expecting too much from the new Don though.

I am sure Farhan will make a good film. Filmmaking is all about storytelling and one shouldn't discourage those who want to try something different.

Compared to what you feel now, what was it like when Don was to be released in 1978?

Don was to hit screens on May 12, 1978. Two weeks before that date, Yash Chopra's Trishul was released and became a big hit. We had no money to promote Don because the producer Nariman Irani died six months before the release. There were other films out at around the same time -- including Satyajit Ray's Shatranj Ke Khiladi, Satyam Shivam Sundaram and Prakash Mehra's Muqaddar Ka Sikandar -- and I, as a debutant director, was a dwarf compared to them.

Moreover, Don was the only Amitabh film with him as the lead; his other projects were all multi-starrers. So, I was obviously nervous.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 18-10-2006 12:23 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

'In those days, people used to care about others. Today, everything is about business'
October 16, 2006

It must have been hard releasing the film after the producer was no more...
In fact, we made Don to bail producer Nariman Irani from debt. He was a cinematographer with actor-director Manoj Kumar. He produced his first film Zindagi Zindagi with Sunil Dutt, which flopped badly. He was in debt so, as his friends, we decided to bail him out.

Amitabh Bachchan, Pran, Salim-Javed and Zeenat Aman came forward to make a film. It took three years and six months to make Don. There were tremendous budget constraints, but we knew we had to make a good film.

At the time, Irani was shooting for a film at Rajkamal Studios in Mumbai. It was November and there was a sudden cloudburst. A wall fell on him while he was preparing to take a shot. He was hospitalised, but passed away soon after.

How did the rest of you manage? What was your budget like?

Don was shot with a budget of around Rs 25 lakh. After Nariman Irani's death, we somehow managed to wrap the film without any money for promotion. When it became a big hit, we gave the money to Salma Irani, the producer's widow, to settle her husband's debts.

In those days, people used to care about others. There were values. Today, everything is about business. Films are now released with 800 to 1,000 prints and shown for just two weeks before being declared hits. In those days, we released only 120 prints. We cared for people in the industry and loved each other like family members.

Use magic Report

Post time 18-10-2006 12:27 PM | Show all posts
'I have always loved fast cars, women and action'
October 16, 2006

Do you remember the day Don was released?

It was a big disappointment and declared a flop because not many people turned up. Luckily for me, within a week, the song Khaike Paan Banaraswala became a big hit.

Word of mouth publicity led to the film becoming a big hit from the second week on. It ran for 50 weeks in all centres and for 75 weeks in Hyderabad.

How was Khaike Paan Banaraswala incorporated into the film?

One must give credit to music director Babla, the brother of Kalyanji-Anandji, who included the song. Lyricist Sameer's father Anjaan wrote it.

I must also thank Manoj Kumar, who told me a song was needed. When he saw it, he said the film was too tight. He said it made taking a toilet break difficult, because the story was so gripping! So, we included that song.

Yeh Mera Dil, filmed on Helen, was quite a rage...

It was. When Helen danced for that song, she was 40. She did a brilliant job. That song happened because of my fascination for James Bond films. I have always loved fast cars, women and action, which is why I included those elements in Don.

Use magic Report

Post time 18-10-2006 12:30 PM | Show all posts
'Thanks to Farhan, people want me to direct films'
October 16, 2006

Why didn't you make any films after this one?

It's a long story. After Don, I had 52 offers from producers. I selected two films.

Before working on Don, I worked with Manoj Kumar, whom I used to respect tremendously. I worked on a salary of Rs 457 for nine years, and learnt a lot from his films. I did try making films after Don, but couldn't complete them.

I started a film with Dilip Kumar called Master, and another with Sarika called Titli. The first wasn't completed, and Sarika went on to marry. I did complete a Bengali film called Aashrita in 1989, which ran for 69 weeks and made Rs 3.5 crore.

But don't you regret not doing more films?

How many films did K Asif made? Hardly any, but he will always be known for Mughal-E-Azam. Ramesh Sippy made many films, but will always be remembered as the maker of Sholay. Mehboob made many too, but will always be remembered for Mother India. In the same way, I made one film -- Don -- and will always be remembered for it.

Are you in touch with any of today's stars?

I don't drink, smoke or attend parties. Despite that, I have been able to stay friends with some people. Jaya Bachchan is like family, as is Dilip Kumar.

Thanks to Farhan Akhtar, people are once again showing interest and want me to direct films. I have a couple of offers too.

Will you be able to direct another film in these times?

When it comes to direction, age does not matter. Raj Kapoor made Ram Teri Ganga Maili when he was over 60. I still sleep for just four hours and watch a lot of films. I learn from them. I also travel a lot and love meeting people.

I don't think directing a film will be difficult for me, even today.

Use magic Report

Post time 18-10-2006 12:35 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

It's MTV, Jaan-e-mann!
October 16, 2006

Basically, Akshay Kumar stole the show.

The MTV Style Awards in Mumbai on Saturday was the typical affair of lipsynced performances and spoofy gags. The highlight this year? The cast of upcoming mega-release, Jaan-E-Mann -- Salman Khan, Preity Zinta and Kumar.

Karan Johar was the host for the evening, and his Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna featured prominently on the winners list.

While KANK picked up Most Stylish Film and Shah Rukh Khan (who thanked the organisers via video) won Most Stylish Actor, the Actress award went to Preity Zinta, seen here with Arjun Rampal (left) and Twinkle Khanna.

Television's current heartthrob Rajeev Khandelwal won the Most Stylish Host award for his work in Deal Ya No Deal.

And then there was all the tomfoolery by MTV hosts Cyrus Broacha and Cyrus Sahukar. Sahukar, coming on stage dressed as his alter ego Semi Girebal (modelled on actress-turned-talkshow hostess Simi Garewal), raised a hue and cry because 'she' had been denied a Style Award.

The evening featured several designers getting models to strut their stuff to Bollywood beats -- Pritam's tunes for Rohit Gandhi; Anu Malik's music for Ritu Kumar, etc.

Pictured is a model dressed in Neeta Lulla's Bollywood collection. The over-the-top range really doesn't need any explaining, does it?

On the other hand, what might deserve an answer is the question of The Maha Style Icon. After giving the award to Amitabh Bachchan, Rekha and Feroze Khan -- undisputedly stylish folk all -- this year MTV decided to give the award to Rishi Kapoor. We're still trying to remember the last time we went out and tried to dress like him.

In terms of the evening overall, the Jaan-E-Mann stars took the stage for a mere five minutes. Judging from the catcalls from the thrilled women, the buzz is all about Akshay Kumar.

The LYCRA MTV Style Awards will be telecast on MTV on 28th October at 8:30 pm.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

27-4-2024 04:13 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.067425 second(s), 39 queries .