CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: isabel

Others Asian Country ~ Entertainment News & Info HERE!

[Copy link]
Post time 10-11-2006 05:43 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Srividya: A versatile artist
October 20, 2006 00:12 IST

Charming, vivacious and versatile, Srividya stole the hearts of film buffs in Malayalam and other south Indian languages for the last four decades through her memorable portrayal of a variety of roles.

The 53-year-old actress, born in Chennai as daughter of top-notch classical singer M L Vasanthakumari, had acted in over 300 films and several television serials, most of them in Malayalam.

Srividya began her career as a 13-year-old girl in Tamil film Tiruvarul Selvam with Sivaji Ganesan. She soon switched over to Malayalam with her debut film Chattambikavala with veteran actor Sathyan.

Since then, she had left a deep impression on Malayalam movie world teaming up with all top stars, including Madhu, Mohanlal and Mammootty. Her memorable roles in Malayalam included Idvazhiyile Poocha Minda Poocha, based on a story by Jnanpith laureate M T Vasudevan Nair and Deivathinte Vikrithikal, the screen adaptation of novelist M Mukundan.

In 1970s and early 80s, Madhu-Srividya team came out with big hits like Theekkanal. She had won several honours, including the Kerala government's best actress award twice.

Of late, she had left a mark on the mini-screen by her splendid performance in several popular television serials. A danseuse, music had been a passion for Srividya though she spared her talent as singer mostly for private audience. Srividya was married to businessman George Thomas but the partnership did not last for long.

Although it was known to her that she had cancer about three years ago, Srividya kept her commitment as an actress. She often had to alternate between shooting locations and the hospital but, by her own admission, the pursuit of art provided the greatest solace in a life chequered with personal tragedies.

Starting with teenage romantic roles, she depicted a variety of characters, including that of the suffering housewife, self-reliant woman struggling to keep up one's individuality in a male-dominated society and loving and caring mother and sister.

Ackowledging her talent and verastility, most top directors had cast her in lead roles. The death of Srividya plunged the entire Malayalam film world into deep sorrow with film-makers, actors and movie lovers expressing profound grief.

Srividya had also acted in more than 50 Tamil films. Starting her film career at the age of 13, Srividya made her debut in Tiruvarul Selvar, in which thespian Sivaji Ganesan adorns the role of 'appar,' a leading Shaivite of 8th century.

The actress reached her peak when renowned director K Balachander picked her as heroine for his best known movie Apoorva Ragangal, which won many laurels in the Indian panorama.

She had also sung for some Tamil films. She also inherited a good sense of humour from her mimicry artist father Krishnamoorthy. Her married life was one of the saddest, with her husband George Thomas allegedly taking away all her property. Recently, Kamal Hassan had called on her at Thiruvananthapuram. She also won Tamil Nadu goverment's best actress award many times

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 10-11-2006 05:47 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Never challenge Shah Rukh in the US!
October 24, 2006 08:54 IST

Shah Rukh Khan in Don

In the final reckoning, it seems Khan versus Khan was just media tattle. For over the weekend audiences on both sides of the Atlantic resoundingly welcomed the Shah Rukh Khan starrer Don, pushing Jaan-E-Mann, with Salman Khan, Preity Zinta and Akshay Kumar, way below the box-office charts.
At any other time, Jaan-E-Mann would have done decent business with its emotional story and haunting music, said a New York exhibitor who did not want to be named for this report.

But it was either sheer foolishness or arrogance to release it the same week Don opened.

Never challenge Shah Rukh at the box-office!

Shah Rukh, who seldom fails to ignite the box-office abroad, once again muscled through the box-office in North America, with Don scoring an impressive $800,000, at No 17 on the weekend box-office charts. It drew a decent $500,000 in the United Kingdom.

The film enjoyed the third highest weekend opening ever for a Hindi movie in North America, following Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham and Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna, each of which grossed slightly over $1 million in North America.

All three films had Shah Rukh in the lead.

The success of Don, the third film directed by Farhan Akhtar, not only consolidates Shah Rukh's box-office clout but also gives its lady star Priyanka Chopra her second big hit abroad following Krrish.

There was not even a consolation prize for Jaan-E-Mann, which grossed a mere $210,000 in North America on 66 screens and featured at No 29 on the boxoffice charts. In the United Kingdom it may have done a little better, industry sources said.

There is a simple lesson here. The desi market is not like mainstream Hollywood which can absorb two big films the same week. Desis have to think hard, very hard, about seeing two Hindi films the same week.

The disappointing opening for Jaan-E-Mann should worry Akshay Kumar who has had a string of hits abroad, with even his also-ran films in India doing decent business here.

Some exhibitors expected a bigger turnover for Don, considering that it was screened in America and Canada on a record 113 screens, some 30 screens more than KANK.

Distributor UTV seems to think the film will have long legs and could reach $2 million in North America alone. Many movie fans stayed home on Saturday to mark Diwali, exhibitors said, and as a result the Saturday collections for the film were weak.

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 05:51 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Hrithik: Bollywood's highest paid?
October 26, 2006 18:11 IST

Hrithik Roshan in Dhoom 2.

How does it feel to have a dozen flops in a row? I asked Hrithik Roshan, a week before Krrish released in June.
"Krrish is my eleventh film. Where do the 'dozen flops' come from?" the star asked me.

Okay then, 9, I suggested. He lightened up. "I have never given nine flops in a row. I had three big hits: Kaho Na Pyaar Hai, Koi Mil Gaya and -- if you can count my contribution alongside big co-stars like Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan -- Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham." Mission Kashmir and Fiza, he explained, weren't flops.

Things have changed, massively.

Once almost written-off by show business, Hrithik now doesn't need to justify anything. His Krrish is a tremendous success. And it is said he is close to signing an unbelievable deal with the Anil Ambani-controlled Adlabs group -- Rs 35 crores (Rs 350 million) for three films, which would make him the highest paid actor in Bollywood.

That tag has so-far rested on Aamir Khan's shoulders, the rarely-appearing superstar said to be commanding Rs 7 crores (Rs 70 million) per film.

Hrithik's new deal would mean he will earn close to Rs 12 crore (Rs 120 million) a film, and enjoy all decision-making rights: he can space the films as he wants over the next three years, pick the scripts and the directors. It's a deal to kill for.

No one from Adlabs was willing to speak on the record, but sources confirmed that negotiations were on and that the deal will indeed be inked in a day or two.

Trade analyst Taran Adarsh thinks it is a sound strategy. "Adlabs know the business and the market. No one in the film industry does charity, and they aren't doing it either. They know the Bollywood theory, 'Hit hai toh fit hai' (all that matters is a hit)," Adarsh said. "I am not surprised if this deal is happening."

While huge, the move doesn't seem sproradic. Adlabs has entered the film industry in a big way, and its multiplexes are spreading across the country.

A few months ago Adlabs was said to be entering into a Rs 25 crore (Rs 250 million) deal with Akshay Kumar to make four films.

Aamir is the beneficiary of a Rs 20 crore (Rs 200 million) co-production deal with PVR Cinemas -- the actor is making two films for the joint venture, Zaamen Pe Taare directed by Amol Gupte, and a youthful comedy marking (Main Hoon Na, Maqbool) scriptwriter Abbas Tyrewala's directorial debut.

So how come the stakes have suddenly gotten so high? Apparently, over the last year, Bollywood has gotten much bigger. 2006 itself has seen four films make close to Rs 100 crore (Rs 1 billion) each -- Rang De Basanti, Fanaa, Krrish and Lage Raho Munna Bhai have upped the financial equations in a huge way.

Various corporate firms are keen to invest in production but are tentative about a project's feasibility. The money is there, but big projects need big stars, a 'saleable face' to bring in the audience.

And now it suddenly seems there are only seven real superstars in Bollywood -- Aamir, Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik, Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar, Abhishek Bachchan and Saif Ali Khan -- and this shortage means they are obviously worth their weight in gold.

Trying to get these A-list stars for a project is nearly impossible, given their currently overbooked schedules. Perhaps this is why the 3-film and 4-film contracts are being drawn up, ensuring stars will be committed to corporate banners over the next few years.

The paycheck is still staggering. "Adlabs will have to choose the right kind of subject to justify this price -- for example, they will have to make a film like Krrish," explained trade analyst Vinod Mirani. "Today, Rs 12 crore per film may sound like a big amount, but next year that amount may sound less because of inflation. I feel the Adlabs group can afford this kind of risk, because they are going to distribute the films as well."

Then again, it is a fallout of our films getting more expensive. Most blockbusters today have budgets spilling well over the Rs 30 crore (Rs 300 million) mark, in which case it's obvious stars would get a bigger cut. "It is a known fact in the film industry that stars take 55% of the film's total budget," reveals Adarsh. "This was true in the time of Rajesh Khanna in the early 1970s, and then for Amitabh Bachchan's time in the later 1970s and 1980s, and so it holds good now."

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 05:53 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Saif, Vidya to star in anti-AIDS film
October 26, 2006 12:02 IST

Mira Nair, Kamal Hassan, Vishal Bhardwaj and Santosh Sivan will make four 12-minute films on AIDS for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Speaking to the NDTV Profit television channel, New York-based Nair revealed that she will begin shooting for the film, AIDS Jagao in Mumbai next month.

The four short films will be screened in theatres all over the country before the main feature is screened, Nair said.

Her film will star Saif Ali Khan, Shiny Ahuja and Vidya Balan. It is based on a script by Zoya Akhtar, whose brother Farhan directed last week's big release, Don.

This week, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation promised the Union health ministry $23 million to combat AIDS in India. Three years ago, the Foundation launched a $258 million anti-AIDS campaign in India.

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 05:56 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Shabana Azmi gets Gandhi Peace Prize
October 27, 2006 17:14 IST

Bollywood actor and former Rajya Sabha MP Shabana Azmi received the coveted Gandhi Foundation International Peace Award 2006 for her noteworthy two-decade struggle for slum dwellers through her movement 'Nivara Hakk'.

Shabana, while receiving the award at the House of Commons yesterday, said she was humbled by the honour whose previous recipients include the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu, among others.

''It is a great honour that somehow my name can be linked to Mahatma Gandhi,'' she added.

Speaking on non-violence, the actor said, ''Violence should be discarded not just on high moral ground but on the reality that it does not work. It only spirals downwards. The greatest lesson from the father of the nation is that he was capable of standing up against an adversary, while recognising his rights.''

A member of the executive committee of the Foundation, Omar Hayat, said, ''The Foundation generally gives the awards to unsung heroes. But the trustees felt the dedication Shabana has shown was very much in line with Gandhi's teaching of Satyagraha. The trustees also recognise her work for communal harmony.''

The actor's struggle for slum dwellers has now resulted in the construction of 30,000 homes under a tripartite agreement among the charity, a private builder and the Maharashtra government.

Actor and social activist Vanessa Redgrave, who bestowed on Shabana the prestigious award, said Shabana was a special person and the world desperately needs people like her.

The Gandhi Foundation, presided over by Gandhi director Sir Richard Attenborough, will celebrate the 140th anniversary of the Mahatma's birth in 2009.

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 06:02 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Bollywood's running out of dates
October 31, 2006 18:23 IST
Last Updated: October 31, 2006 19:57 IST

Bollywood's running short of dates.  

Filmmakers are facing a severe crisis now as actors simply don't have enough dates to take on projects. With industry giants and established studios throwing their weight around to get star dates at will, the situation is exasperating for new entrants. Corporates and debutant directors have big funds and great scripts in hand, but there aren't any stars who have the time.

And this is not just a phenomenon restricted to Shah Rukh Khan and Aishwarya Rai. Even if you want to cast Ritesh Deshmukh in your next film, you'd better wait around till this time next year and get an early 2008 booking.

Aishwarya Rai recently admitted to me that she was forced to give up on some great projects. "I am going to be busy in 2007," Ash said, "and this is something that's happened many times in life: I've discussed films with producers and directors, but there are no dates available."

She adds, "If I have dates available, my co-stars too need to have dates and if that does not happen the film gets shelved." A case in point was Ash's Saamna, to be directed by Raj Kumar Santoshi and also starring Ajay Devgan and Nana Patekar. Santoshi concedes that the project fell through because of "date issues" with Aishwarya, and that he hoped to work with her in the future.

It just seems the wait is getting ever longer.

"If you plan a film today you will have to wait till 2008 or late 2007 because all top actors are booked," says Vinod Mirani, film trade analyst.

An unpredictable hurdle has also popped up with the industry suddenly becoming more professional, and actors trying to get into the skin of their characters.

For example, Abhishek Bachchan had to put on weight for Mani Ratnam's Guru, but had to look fit and lean for Aditya Chopra's Dhoom:2. Similarly, Saif Ali Khan shaved his head for Omkara. Challenging projects requiring more physical involvement from actors inevitably restrict them to going one film at a time.

Most actors today ask filmmakers to shoot in one schedule, from start to finish, so they can wrap up a project quickly before taking on another. It makes sense for the stars, but means a much more expensive and exhausting process for producers and directors.

And then there's the Aamir Khan factor. "The actors are preferring to have exclusivity. They want people to eagerly wait for their films," explains director Suparn Verma. "If this happens then the film gets a good opening." A fair argument, especially since we consider that a good opening is often enough to see a film sail through.

The corporates are going gung-ho with their budgets, and block-booking superstars for massive amounts of money. The latest news sees Hrithik Roshan signing on with Anil Ambani's Adlabs group for 3 films and Akshay Kumar for 4 films. This just ensures that these stars will be available to the production house over the next four years. It's rather like betting on a horse, as the corporate giants are picking winners and backing up their bets with high stakes.

Hrithik: Bollywood's highest paid?

So does this mean actors will not do any new films?

Not really.

Most actors keep long vacation time in hand, wanting to relax and spend time with their family. But temptation can often force them to cut this short.

If seduced by a great script and director, they are willing, but ask only that the film be completed in a really short period. Aishwarya shot for Leena Bajaj's Shabd in 40 days, and SRK's Paheli was wrapped up in 45 days.

The home truth now remains that the star is key, and it's all upto him.

"You never know what goes on in an actors mind," says the secretary of a superstar booked till 2008. "They may do some film on instinct, or some film for the cause of friendship or a big banner, if it is to be made in short period. You just have to be lucky to convince them to get their dates."

Amen. Good luck, filmmakers

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 10-11-2006 06:05 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Meet the 25-year-old hitmaker
October 31, 2006 17:25 IST

Mohit Suri

At 25, one generally forwards applications for jobs, but director Mohit Suri isn't in the same boat.

He meets aspiring actresses, assistant directors and is busy arranging meetings over the phone to recruit new people for his latest film, Awarapan.

Sitting in his cubicle at filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt's office, Mohit's perpetually on the phone.

"Just give me ten minutes and I will join you," Mohit apologetically tells me. At first glance, he looks like a boyish postgraduate student. Under his eyes, though, there are distinct dark circles -- fair enough considering he's made 3 hits, Woh Lamhe, Kalyug and Zeher.

It's a bit bizarre, being this young yet handling situations and subjects far beyond his years. Mohit smiles. "I started young in life. At 17, I joined my uncle Mahesh Bhatt and started assisting him. I didn't plan to become director. I assisted him to make some money. He saw some spark in me and finally gave a break to direct a film when I was 22, and I made Zeher."

Mohit lost his mother when he was 8, and his father Daksh Suri travelled frequently, leaving Mohit mostly to his aunts. His sister Smiley Suri (yes, the Kalyug heroine) stayed with cousin Emraan Hashmi. The family is very close, and Mohit considers Emraan one of his closest friends.

"I am loner by nature," Mohit reveals, "but friends are very important to me. I have few but some great friends and Emraan is one of them." Though Mohit has been with the Bhatt's from the age of 17, and started by assisting Vikram Bhatt with Kasoor, he doesn't consider himself a student of cinema.

"My mother passed away early so I started taking my own decisions. I have no formal education in cinemam but life has taught me a lot. I was a good student and I have studied Business Management," Mohit says, "but I feel I was made for films."

So armed with this life experience, his first film is a rip-off of the Hollywood film Out Of Time? Mohit smiles. "The easiest way to convince any producer is to give the reference of a film. Moreover, no one would have given me a chance to direct a film at the age of 22. So Zeher came easily to me."

"The unique selling point of my film was the song Woh Lamhe," he says. "I knew my film had no big stars to attract audiences. Why would they spend money for my film? I needed something different, and therefore I chose that song. I knew my film will be a hit the day I incorporated that song."

Films coming from the Bhatt stable have always had great music and Mohit has made sure he's had outstanding tunes. If Zeher had Woh Lamhe, Kalyug was a rage because of Jiya Dhadak Jaye and now, Woh Lamhe's Kya Mujhe Pyaar Hai caused a sensation.

He doesn't consider his films too dark. "I am showing real life. I sit for the dialogues with the dialogue writers and scriptwriter and work hard, to make it as real as I can. I surely want to make happy films, but only when others start making serious films like I am."

A down to earth youth, he has no Bollywood airs yet, and considers Mahesh Bhatt his godfather. Right now, this boy is competing with himself, and just wants to keep making films.

As for the dark circles, that's because he's a workaholic, sleeping four hours a day. "I want to strive for more rather than rust away. There are so many stories and ideas that I want to make films on, and I hope to make all of them."

As a youth, he's remarkably tolerant of veteran filmmakers losing their way. "It happens to everyone," Mohit shrugs. "As time changes, everything around you changes. You start fading away from reality. This can happen to me too, but I see that I don't handle praise well. When one criticises me I take it well, but that criticism will never ruin my confidence. I am aware of my strengths and weaknesses."

Any particular film, he loved this year, Mohit immediately snaps back with "Rang De Basanti and Lage Raho Munna Bhai, but I loved RDB more. It appealed to my sensibilities. I felt that film was for me and my generation."

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 06:08 PM | Show all posts
Bollywood Press

October 31, 2006
John Abraham was taliban? prime target

How did you end up working for Yash Raj Films?
I had a ready script that reached Aditya Chopra through common friends. I did not have any access to Aditya, per se. He liked the script and called me, saying that he would like to produce it. It was a dream come true for me, considering I? an outsider with no filmi connections. Were John Abraham and Arshad Warsi Aditya Chopra? choices?
Arshad is a close friend and I had him in mind when I was writing Kabul Express. I met John before Adi came into the picture. Even back then, John had agreed to do the film.

Adi had no issues when I told him that John and Arshad would fit the bill. The film is loosely based on the experiences that my friend Rajan Kapoor (who is the executive producer of Kabul Express) and I had in Afghanistan during the making of a documentary film in 2001. That was the time when the Taliban was collapsing.

So who plays who?
When I first wrote the script, John was me and Arshad was Rajan. John is as sensitive to suffering and human destruction as I am. Arshad and Rajan have a subtle sense of humour. But slowly, I weaved a bit of both (Rajan and I) into the characters. But yes, John is like me; he likes to take risks just like I do.

Didn? John panic during his stay in Afghanistan?
We were facing death threats and John was the high-profile target. Any terrorist organisation obviously looks for the most impressive target. The Taliban bumping me off wouldn? make as big headlines as they would if they bumped John off.

The Taliban always highlighted his name as the person they wanted to target, so Bipasha? (Basu) concern was fully justified. Mini (Mathur, Kabir? wife) was also very worried. We were equally concerned. We had stopped shooting for six days, which led to security arrangements being made. Thereafter, we had 60 armed commandos 24?7.

How confident are you about your first film?
After I finished shooting Kabul Express, the Taliban has increased violence in Afghanistan. The whole world is aware of this, and I am sure that they will want to see what it was like.

There is no heroine in the film.
That? simply because we haven? compromised on the script. But there? an American actress, Linda.

There are some cuss words in the film. Omkara suffered because of foul language?
Our characters are realistic, but that? where the similarity ends. The language in Kabul Express is not even close to the kind of language used in Omkara.

Why has the film been delayed?
This is a misconception. We never announced the release date. One must take into account the fact that it has been selected for many international film festivals.

Tell us about its selection at these film festivals?
In Indian cinema, regional and art films are selected for international festivals. This is the first time that a film from mainstream cinema with mainstream actors has been chosen for the world? top festivals. We have been to Toronto and Pusan, where we had a fantastic response. I signed about 200 autographs there. Then there? the

London Film Festival coming up on November 2. A day before the release, we?l be showcasing it in Dubai Film Festival. The film releases on December 15. We have invitations from at least seven more festivals after that, which we will go for after the film is released.

Does it help a showcase a film at festivals?
It helps to profile the film and the maker. And it helps to increase overseas collections. I have met top directors and actors from across the globe, thereby increased my network. To top it all, you get their perspective on your film. Few debutants would be lucky in this respect.

How much freedom did Yash Raj Films give you?
We had to file a production report every day. We spoke on the phone every two or three days. As for the freedom, Adi did not make any changes in my script. He believes in this film.

Where do you go after Kabul Express?
I have a three-film contract with Yash Raj. I have two stories and I need to decide which one will go through first.

Will Rajan be a part of those films also?
Yes. We work together and understand each other very well.

What if a big producer calls you to his camp?
Who is bigger than Aditya Chopra?

Say, a producer who gives you more money than Adi?
This is common, but haven? we also heard horror stories of directors who have broken away and decided to venture out independently after barely one film?

What Yash Raj provides you is not calculable in terms of money.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 10-11-2006 06:12 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Don is a semi-hit
November 01, 2006 17:13 IST

A still from Don

Shah Rukh Khan beat Salman Khan this Diwali/Eid.

Don got twice as good an opening as Jaan-E-Mann in India -- Don made Rs 14.68 crore and Jaan-E-Mann made Rs 7.63 crore in the first week -- and great collections in the US and UK.

But beating Salman isn't enough. Compared to traditional Diwali blockbusters, Don couldn't really bring in the crowds -- the film can only be declared a semi-hit. Farhan Akhtar's film got a great opening but reviews and word of mouth criticism made sure collections dipped sharply after the first few days.

Last Diwali was also bad for Salman as his Kyon Ki flopped, but Akshay has been having a blast during the festival season with Aitraaz and Garam Masala topping the charts over the last two years.

Jaan-E-Mann reuinited producer Sajid Nadiadwala with Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar, but Shirish Kunder's directorial debut couldn't repeat the magic of David Dhawan's Mujhse Shaadi Karogi.

"One of the films had to take a good start and it proved to be Don and not Jaan-E-Mann," says film trade analyst, Vinod Mirani.

The curiosity factor worked for SRK as audiences wondered how he'd measure up to Amitabh Bachchan in the 1978 classic. As a result, masses queued outside theatres for Don leaving Jaan-E-Mann tickets up for grabs.

"The problem came because Jaan-e-Mann was a very family film and Don was for masses and youngsters," explains Mirani. "The family crowd preferred to keep indoors and celebrate Diwali whereas masses opted for Don."

Both films also faced trouble as the month of Ramzan was not over, and it was only after four days -- on October 24 and 25 -- when Eid was celebrated that many Muslims came out to see the film, most of the community staying indoors during the holy month.

Both releases were big films, costing around Rs 25-30 crores. In the final count, both films disappointed.

"Shah Rukh's film got a good opening in the first week and became a success. Nobody will lose money on Don and the film is a semi-hit in the second week," says trade analyst Amod Mehra. "However, that is not the case with Jaan-e-Mann as the film has flopped. The distributors will lose 30-40 percent in every circuit for the film."

After Eid, Jaan-e-Mann picked up but it was too late. "Unfortunately here too, Jaan-e-Mann didn't sustain for long and could do good business only for a day or two and then it dropped badly," added Mehra.

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 06:16 PM | Show all posts
Bollywood Press

November 1, 2006
Fardeen moves HC in drug seizure case

In a move to attract lesser penalty, Bollywood actor Fardeen Khan, embroiled in a drug seizure case, has moved the Bombay High Court seeking permission to undergo detoxification in a de-addiction centre.

If the court allows him to do so and the actor come out clean after detoxification, the prosecution against him for possessing drugs could be withdrawn, his lawyer Ayaz Khan claimed.

The petition, filed by the actor, is expected to come up for hearing some time next week.

Under section 64 A of Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, an accused can apply for detoxification if he is found in possession of small quantity of drugs for personal consumption and on being satisfied that he has successfully undergone detoxification, the prosecution may withdraw charges.

On September 22, the trial court had rejected Fardeen? plea to undergo detoxification. Fardeen has now moved the High Court challenging the trial court? order and also seeking permission afresh for detoxification. Fardeen was arrested in May 2001 by Narcotics Control Bureau in suburban Juhu when he was about to buy one gram of cocaine from a drug peddler. He was released on bail later.

The NCB had seized nine grams of cocaine from the peddler Nasir Khan who told police that the actor wanted to buy just one gram of cocaine for personal consumption. However, the chargesheet against him has said Fardeen was in possession of nine grams and not one gram of cocaine.

Nine grams of cocaine attracts punishment upto ten-years? of rigorous imprisonment while in case of possession of one gram, an accused can be let off with detoxification. Under NDPS Act, possession of commercial quantity (100 grams) of drugs is punishable with ten years RI, while possessing drugs between two and 100 grams is punishable upto ten years.

As against this, possession of small quantity (less than two grams) of drugs allows the accused to seek one-time amnesty from the prosecution by undergoing detoxification.

The trial court had recently rejected the actor? claim to amend the charges framed against him on the ground that he wanted to buy just one gram of cocaine and not nine grams alleged by NCB.

Fardeen contended that even the drug peddler had admitted that the actor wanted to buy just one gram of cocaine. The court, however, felt that Fardeen? plea was premature and he could approach the court at a later stage.

Actors, addiction centre, commercial quantity, detoxification, drug peddler, Fardeen Khan, Fardeen Khan, gram of cocaine, narcotics control bureau, narcotics drugs, nasir khan, personal consumption, possession, prosecution, seizure case

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 06:24 PM | Show all posts
Bollywood Press

November 1, 2006
Lakme Fashion Week uncut

Priyadarshani Rao? collection, titled Summer of 2007, brought a wiff of fresh air to the Lakme Fashion Week. In line with the name of the collection, there was a clear emphasis on breathable fabric and comfort.

Rao? collection on Day 1 of the Lakme Fashion Week was drastically different not just in style but also in its lack of star quotient. However, the clothes proved to be the real stars at the ramp.

Bigwigs like Celina Jaitley, Suniel Shetty, Mohd Azharuddin amongst others were present at Vikram? show, however, they failed to add any sheen to his collection. An ?? list front row does not a great designer make!

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 06:25 PM | Show all posts
Bollywood Press

November 1, 2006
John Abraham - Bipasha Basu together again

After a long time of nearly three years, John Abraham and Bipasha Basu will be seen paired together again in director Vivek Agnihotri? forthcoming film ?oal?. John is already a part of ?oal? and the script has been narrated to Bipasha and she is keen to do it.

The couple was first seen together in ?ism? and later in ?adhoshi?. They have been offered many films as pair. Bipasha even refused ?o Smoking? being directed by Anurag Basu. Thus, ?oal? seems to be something spectacular.

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 06:35 PM | Show all posts
Bollywood Press

November 1, 2006
Dhoom 2

The biggest year-end release Dhoom 2 is revving up to hit the theatres on November 24. With actors Hrithik Roshan, Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai in the lead, this sequel is a much larger version of the previous biking fantasy ride. The movie? director, Sanjay Gadhvi, described the film as ?igger, better? and ?aster and more furious? than the original Dhoom.

Shot in Brazil and Nigeria and packed with anti-gravity stunts, Dhoom 2 looks every bit the fast-paced thrill ride. This is also the first film that pairs Hrithik Roshan and a very slim Aishwarya Rai on screen.

Hrithik believes the film is all about living on the edge. He said, ?ome films need to be a complete departure from the serious and the ?eal?. Dhoom 2 is just that. So, fasten your seatbelts and enjoy the ride?.

Aishwarya did her own stunts in the film and to accentuate her performance she did power yoga for two months for a perfectly toned body. ?ats off to Adi (Aditya Chopra) for his conviction when he spoke to me about the film. He said I always play these larger-than-life characters on celluloid. So, now I need to simply be a girl. I trusted him and had fun being Sunehri in Dhoom 2,? Aishwarya said.

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 08:35 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Preity's proud of Jaan-E-Mann
November 02, 2006 18:04 IST

If I were to do it, I would act in Jaan-E-Mann all over again -- and again and again," says Preity Zinta, saying she finds it difficult to understand how such "a beautiful film" got started on the wrong foot.

"I saw the film with some of the most seasoned directors I have worked with in the last seven and half years," she continues, chatting from her Mumbai apartment. "They were very impressed with the film, with some saying that it is hard to believe that a first-timer (Shirish Kunder) had directed it. Some even said that the film had raised the bar for our movies and they have to work harder on their next films."

Personally, she thought the film had enhanced her career profile. "You feel that you are in this industry to act in a film like this," she said. "I have done all kinds of roles right from the start of my career. For I was going to disprove the fear some of my friends had that I would be wearing a white sari and singing songs in the rain. Having worked in a dark film like Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna, I wanted to act in a relatively light hearted film, and Jaan-E-Mann came along."

"I gave my soul to the film," she continued. "And I will be proud of it even when I am 50. What amazes me is that while the film has so much of technical finesse, it is very Indian in its heart and soul. It is a very Indian subject. It is a film about relationships and mending your marriage."

She was very proud of her work in Karan Johar's KANK, she said. "But that film dealt with another kind of reality. I lose my husband in that film. I understand the rate of divorce in India is increasing, but it is still a small phenomenon. I like the idea of a film in which a man or a woman fights very hard to save the relationship or, in the case of Jaan-E-Mann, the marriage."  

She feels some people may have been a bit confused about their perception of the film and what they found on screen, and that confusion could have the marred the box-office take. "Many people went to see it thinking that it is an all fun film," she says. "It has many lighter moments, but it also has an emotional center. And yet in the end, there is plenty of light at the end of the tunnel. And I like working in films with such endings. I can take up an unconventional role in one film but I also need to balance it by working in a film like Jaan-E-Mann."                        

Though the film had opened weakly in India and abroad, especially in the face of the strong start for Don, Preity has been hearing from many people that they were moved by her film. "I think the word of mouth is going to make a difference and the movie could start galloping," she continues, talking with us on the tenth day of the release.

Her hopes may not be misplaced, at least abroad. Though the film opened feebly in North America and the United Kingdom, the drop in the second week was miniscule. Most Hindi films lose about 55 percent of its box-office in the second week.  It could end up grossing in both territories a decent $1.5 million, far smaller than the $6 million (on the conservative side) expected from Don. But Jaan-E-Mann is certainly far from being a dud. Apart from the word of mouth, it also gained in North America and the United Kingdom from the fact that distributor Adlabs is continuing its advertising blitz.

Working with Karan Johar and Kunder almost back to back was quite an experience for her, she adds. "Some people were disturbed with KANK, but could the film have become such a big hit if people really disliked it?" she wonders. "I think people were taken aback by the film because of its subject but they got to like it as it unfolded." But she cannot understand how anyone can fault Johar for making KANK. "The very people who used to say that he makes these sweet, emotional films seem to be criticising him for making a very different kind of film," she muses.

Both Johar and Kunder burn with intensity, she says, adding there is special fun working for a first time director. "You know that he wants to create something truly memorable because it is his first film," she explains. "And you know that he will always remember that his first film was with you."

She is also proud that Jaan-E-Mann "is a very sweet and very clean film." There is not even a moment's hesitation in seeing it with children, she continues. "There is no double-edged dialogue in the film," she adds. "Parents don't have to worry about shutting the eyes of their children any time during the film."

"Children are like mini sponges," she continues. "And they ape the adults. So giving them wholesome entertainment becomes a must."

Preity Zinta's star as an actress and her clout as a box-office force are steadily rising, but she says her success in recent years is in fact pushing her to slow down.

"It has become important to me to reduce my workload," she asserts. "Some people may feel insecure in the face of continued success, worrying about how the next film would fare. But I remember that nobody is invincible and success cannot last forever."

Seeing that she's been bringing up the subject of marriage and the need to fight to keep it intact, we ask her if she has plans to tie the knot soon.

"Soon?" she asks and pauses for a few seconds. "I don't see it happening it tomorrow or the day after."

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 08:42 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Was Umrao Jaan for real?
November 02, 2006 13:41 IST

Rekha in the 1981 Umrao Jaan

Who was Umrao Jaan?

Many people may like to believe that Umraojaan existed for real, but to this date there is a controversy on whether such a courtesan existed in the 19th century, as depicted in Umra-O-Jaan-E-Ada, a novel written in 1904 by Mirza Mohammed Hadi Ruswa.

Says writer Javed Siddiqui, who wrote Muzaffar Ali's 1981 Umrao Jaan, "There have always been two opinions. I believe she never existed in this world. If she existed where is her grave? No one knows till this date. The book of Ruswa became so famous and an Urdu literature classic that everyone thought that Umrao Jaan is a real character, but it is not true."

Born in 1857, Ruswa was a teacher, poet and an author and wrote only five novels in his lifetime. This novel is the story of Ameeran, a girl from a lower middle class family. She is kidnapped as a child and ends up a nautch girl, rechristened as Umrao Jaan.

The only work of his that enjoyed acclaim after this was the novel Sharif Zada. Ruswa eventually moved out of Lucknow and settled down in Hyderabad before he passed away in 1931.

Amaresh Misra, author Lucknow: Fire of Grace believes Umrao Jaan really existed.

"Ruswa met Umrao in 1882 when she was reduced to penury," says Misra. "She was living as a destitute and she told her life story to him."

In his opinion, Umrao Jaan left Lucknow for Bhairach district in 1858 after Lucknow fell to Britishers, and moved back only much later in life, at an old age.

Amaresh is convinced Umrao was real because he feels there is historic evidence backing him.

"The character of dacoit Fazal Ali existed and he was killed in 1856. He was from Gonda and people of Gonda fought against Britishers in 1857 during the revolt because they killed their leader. This fact is recorded in history."

In the book, Fazal Ali meets Umrao and falls in love with her after Nawab Sultan refuses to marry her.

Fazal Ali's character (called Faiz Ali in the movies) was played by Raj Babbar in 1981, and will be played by Suniel Shetty in the new film.

"Secondly," says Amaresh, "there's the character of Azizunbai, the famous courtesan. When the Britishers deposed Azizunbai for plotting against them in 1857, she said she was a disciple of Umrao Jaan, and this fact too is recorded in history."

The British executed Azizunbai, and till this day her grave exists in Kanpur.

Interestingly, the new Umrao Jaan will be Bollywood's fourth attempt at telling Ruswa's story. The first film came in 1958, called Mehndi, after which Zindagi Aur Toofan followed in 1975. Then came the 1981 classic by Muzaffar Ali.

The latest director J P Dutta says, "There is still a lot of speculation and awe about Umrao Jaan in Lucknow; whether she was really there, if she is a real character or Ruswa's imagination. Some people also say that she was Ruswa's mother."

Concludes Iftakhar Imam Siddiqui, noted Urdu poet, "I believe Umrao Jaan was not a real character and Ruswa wrote that character reflecting its time. His character Umrao Jaan became more famous than him."

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 08:45 PM | Show all posts
Bollywood Press

November 4, 2006
Adnan Sami claims to have lost 85 kilos in the last five months

Singer-music director Adnan Sami had disappeared for a few months. Now, it has emerged that he was in the USA for physiotherapy and a weight-loss programme.

Cringe factor

Says Adnan, ? went on a health trip to Washington and Texas, where my family stays, in June. I consulted a physiotherapist and nutritionist who put me on a diet. Now I work out for an hour and a half every day.?

Before he started on the programme, Adnan was nearly 200 kilos. He says, ? have lost 85 kilos so far. I?e stopped eating bread, rice and sugar and only eat protein-rich foods and vitamin supplements. For the last two months, I?e also turned vegetarian. It? not out of choice but compulsion, as my body can? digest non-vegetarian food. Now, I don? even eat eggs. Earlier, I couldn? live without eating non-vegetarian food, but now I cringe just looking at it.?

But Adnan admits that he still has miles to go. ? have to lose 50 kilos more. That? my target.?

Depressive days

Adnan says that the last one year has been one of the lowest points in his life. ?fter the doctors diagnosed me with lymphedema and operated on both my knees, I never got completely cured. I had to take nine blood transfusions.

Everything had a snowball effect ? my legs became weak, I couldn? walk for more than a few minutes, I had to use a walking stick when I went out, while travelling I had to use a wheelchair and the pain was terrible. I became an insomniac and a recluse. I hated going out and socialising.

Things just went from bad to worse. All my activities came to a halt. I had given up on life and thought I was going to die. My stamina had come down to zero. My life was going out of control,? he says emotionally.

In February this year, he went on holiday with his parents to Dubai, and a talk with his father changed his depressive attitude.

He says, ? was in terrible pain and couldn? bear it any more, so I told my father, ? have lived my life to the fullest. If I die today, I will have no regrets.? Dad looked at me and said that he couldn? believe he was talking to a fighter. I told him things were beyond my control. He gave me a lecture and said I should think my way out of this instead of giving up. His verbal kick in the butt worked and I went abroad.?

Back on his feet

How did he lose so much in such a short time? ? have lost 85 kilos, but it doesn? seem so much. I had a lot of weight to lose,? grins Adnan. ?n the first few weeks, I lost 25 pounds. Initially you tend to lose weight quickly as it? mostly water, then you plateau and the process slows down.?

Today, Adnan feels healthier than he has in a long time. He says, ? went to the USA on a wheelchair and came back able to support myself on my feet. That felt wonderful, since I had become completely immobile. I love travelling but that passion had become a nightmare. Now, I have started travelling again.?

He even feels like a new man now. He says, ?? even comfortable talking about it. I want to tell people like me that if I can do it, so can they.

Nothing is impossible. When I had put on weight, I had become moody and irritable and didn? feel going out and meeting people. It was a defense mechanism that I had developed. Today, I am confident and happy.?

Fitting into clothes has become easier for Adnan. ?hat? the best part,? he says, heaving a sigh of relief. ? had bought a black Armani suit six years ago but could never fit into it. When I tried it a couple of days ago, it fit!? he beams.

What? next? ?y album, which reflects my confident, happy state of mind today. And I? also doing the music for a few films.?

Adnan? diet

Drinks
No alcohol. Allowed to have crystal lite drinks, fruit punches and Diet Coolades

Breakfast
No breakfast; just a cup of tea

Lunch
A bowl of salad mixed with one tablespoon of fat free dressing, one tablespoon of milk, lots of vegetables like broccoli, chickpeas, apples, with Tabasco sauce and fat free cheese

Snack
A bowl of popcorn with a pinch of salt

Dinner
A bowl of dal (not black dal) without tadka, lemon, Tabasco sauce, green chillies and no oil (Adnan has this like a bowl of soup)

No Tags

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 10-11-2006 08:53 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Ritesh Deshmukh is ready for Money
November 08, 2006 17:28 IST

He came into the industry with a tag. Ever since his debut in 2003 with Tujhe Meri Kasam, people prefixed Ritesh Deshmukh's name with that of his father's, Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh.

But now, after he's had big hits like Masti and Kya Kool Hai Hum, and won critical acclaim for his work in Bluffmaster and Naach, the actor has come into his own. And his career is rocking.

"I am happy I am employed all the time," the actor laughs it off. "I'm enjoying my job and have no dates till 2007, because I have half a dozen films in hand."

Watching him shoot in Mumbai for Sajid Khan's directorial debut, Hey Baby with Akshay Kumar and Fardeen Khan, it's easy to believe he has no time. He jumps onto the set for a quick take, and rushes back to resume the conversation.

"I am seeing good times in my career at the moment, and I don't think of the future," Ritesh explains. "I take life as it comes."

His latest film Apna Sapna Money Money releases on Friday but Ritesh isn't too nervous. "The anxiety is always there for me when my film releases, but I no longer get nervous. Earlier, I used to get a bit nervous and especially during my first film Tujhe Meri Kasam there was too much anxiety from my side."

Apna Sapna Money Money reunites Ritesh with Kya Kool... director Sangeeth Sivan. "Every film has it's own merit. We have worked hard on it. We don't know how audience will take it," Ritesh shrugs. "They may like it or they may not. I can only hope for the best."

In this film, he plays a conman and a master-of-disguise. So just how important is money to the young star? "It is a very important means to buy goods in life, but I think money can never buy love," Ritesh rattles off without a pause. "I must add that every person has a different take on money and I am sure you must be having your own take too."

And what about the theory that money is the root cause of all problems? "Again, this depends from person to person. How do they take it? How do they react when they get too much money in their pockets? This all depends on individuals."

Has the Malamaal Weekly actor ever fallen short of money? "Yes," Ritesh reveals. "I always knew the depth of my pocket. If I had Rs 10 in my pocket, I always knew I had to buy a Vada Pav, and I couldn't go and spend in excess in some expensive hotel."

Ritesh calls Priyadarshan's film his biggest challenge, since he had to be comic in front of great actors like Paresh Rawal and Om Puri. "Malaamal was an experimental film. It became a big hit and we all felt very happy about our work. It was a great learning experience and I was more than happy when the film clicked at the box office," says Ritiesh.

Ritesh might have tried serious roles in films like Naach, but his box office success is largely due to comedies. Is he the next Govinda? "I think it is a huge compliment if you compare me with Govinda, but I can never be compared to Govinda," Ritesh gushes, in awe of the actor. "There will always be only one Govinda and that is Govinda, the Hero No 1. He is far too talented and no one can be compared to him."

Is Ritesh as funny in real life as he is on screen? "It depends on my company. If I have serious company, I am serious. I react according to situations in real life."

"But then if someone is talking philosophy, then I shut up" he grins. "It isn't my cup of tea, so I better be quiet."

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 09:04 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

American critics love Ash
November 08, 2006 15:59 IST
Last Updated: November 08, 2006 16:26 IST

A still from Umrao Jaan

Aishwarya Rai might still be reeling from the shock of her Umrao Jaan bombing in India, but American critics are still smitten with the star.

In a left-handed compliment, the review of Umrao Jaan in The New York Times starts with the declaration: 'The price of being beautiful.' It goes on to say, 'Umrao Jaan, a retelling of a historical Indian tale covered in a 1981 Bollywood classic, might also be a commentary on its star, Aishwarya Rai. Ms Rai, often hailed as the queen of Bollywood, has for many a global allure calling to mind that of Brigitte Bardot or Sophia Loren. But you hope Ms Rai does not suffer for her art as much as her character does.'

Aishwarya Rai: When I get married, you'll know

The review by Andy Webster singles out a 'vivid Shabana Azmi.' Praising Ash's allure, the 300-word review which decried the film's excessive melodrama added, 'But the actress's presence is undeniable. Ms Rai has Western films coming; Umrao Jaan seems like a way station on her path to international success.'

Umrao Jaan is another high profile movie after Jaan-e-Mann to have a soft opening overseas, but it isn't a cold turkey, at least in America and Canada. It grossed about $480,000 in its first weekend in North America, a respectable opening, taking 40 percent more than Jaan-E-Mann did in the corresponding period. But in the UK, the Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan movie made just $250,000, a few thousand more than what Don grossed there in its third weekend.
We will have to wait for one more week before we know if Umrao Jaan becomes a modest hit in North America or eats dust in its second week.

Meanwhile, Shah Rukh Khan's Don which is going stronger in the United Kingdom than in North America has grossed $2.4 million by its third weekend, and is sure to leave theaters with an impressive $3 million gross. With Dhoom 2 around the corner, the durability of Don is seriously impaired.

In the North American market, it has grossed $1.95 million and could end its profitable run with a $2.3 million total gross, about $1 million less than Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna grossed here. Jaan-e-Mann, in the meanwhile, is not showing signs of an impressive recovery and may end with a decent but unspectacular $750,000 in the lucrative North American market. It may be able to reach just about $500,000 in the United Kingdom.

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 09:08 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Shah Rukh rules in Chanderpaul country
November 08, 2006 13:12 IST

More than Hollywood, Bollywood has left an indelible imprint on Guyana with films starring Shah Rukh Khan and Rani Mukerji hot favourites in this South American nation, whose cricketers Shivnaraine Chanderpaul and Ramnaresh Sarwan are the toast of the cricketing world.
Songs from Hindi movies seem to be more popular here and the cab driver carrying Indians flaunts a CD of Bollywood hits with a sense of pride.

There are half a dozen cinema halls in Georgetown, Guyana's capital town, and there are occasions when most of them screen Hindi films.

About 44 per cent of the 3.27 lakh (300,000) population are ethnic Indians.

Films like Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna are big crowd pullers.

The younger generation like to see films starring Preity Zinta and Kajol while older movie buffs enjoy films with Amitabh Bachchan and Dharmendra. Mithun Chakraborty used to be quite popular in Guyana once, locals recall.

While Hindi is taught at a local college, Hindu festivals like Phagwa (as Holi is known in these parts) and Diwali are celebrated with gaiety. Many Hindus recite the Gayatri Mantra and institutions like the Guyana Hindu Dharmik Sabha and Arya Samaj are found in this distant South American country.

Like Hindi cinema, Indian music too has caught the fancy of the local people.

Chutney music is gradually becoming very popular in Guyana whose population comprises 43.5 per cent Indian, 30 per cent African, nine per cent Amerindian, and the rest of European, Chinese and Mixed origin.

Chutney is an up-tempo, rhythmic song, accompanied by the dholak, harmonium and dhantal. Originally, Chutney songs had references to deities and were deemed offensive by religious leaders.

Some of the new Chutney compositions contain calypso and soca rhythms. There is also accompaniment (especially in the growing number of Chutney competitions) by bands which include Indian, Western and African instruments. The exotic sounds of Chutney music blare from taxis, dance clubs and on the streets.

Formerly British Guiana, Guyana is located on the northeastern shores of South America. English is spoken by most inhabitants.

Its Amerindian name means Land of Many Waters and the country is laced with countless creeks and rivers. As if all this tropical beauty is not enough, diamonds and gold are deposited in the hillsides and the bottom of rivers.

Georgetown has charming 19th century homes and tree-lined boulevards along the canals built during the days when the Dutch ruled the country.

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2006 09:17 PM | Show all posts
Rediff News

Big B takes House of Commons by storm, promises KBC2
November 09, 2006 15:19 IST

Fans of popular game show Kaun Banega Crorepati are in for a treat with its host superstar Amitabh Bachchan saying 24 more episodes are in line.

"Twenty-four episodes from the previous lot are pending. We are now talking to Star TV to see how we can complete these episodes. It will be done," Bachchan, in London as the brand ambassador for the International Indian Film Academy Awards, said in an interview on Wednesday. Asked how soon the serial would be resumed, the 64-year-old Bachchan said it was up to Star TV. "They are working it out."

He said Sarkar II was in the making and he, his wife Jaya and son Abhishek will feature in Pradeep Sarkar's next. About his role as Gabbar Singh in Ram Gopal Varma's proposed remake of Sholay, Bachchan said, "It is a challenging role. Let us see." With Bollywood planning a string of remakes and some eminent personalities criticising the trend, the superstar said, "We can't stop people from criticising. At the same time, we cannot say it should not be done. The remake of any film will add to creative enhancement. Whether it is good or bad is a different matter."

Asked whether he planned to set up a film academy, Bachchan quipped, "I don't have the acumen to start an academy. I am barely managing to be an actor and I would like just to keep it to that."

Amidst reports linking Abhishek Bachchan with his Umrao Jaan co-star Aishwarya Rai, Amitabh said he wanted his son to settle with a "good girl" of his choice. Asked about the prospect of Abhishek marrying Rai, the superstar quipped, "I have also heard about it. You should ask the people who spread the rumour."

He said all that mattered to him was that "it should be a good girl and it should be of his (Abhishek's) choice." On his experience of working with his son, Bachchan said it was quite good. "He is quite competent. At home we are father and son but when we are before the camera, we are two actors. On the sets I have never seen him as my son but as a friend," he said. Umrao Jaan, starring Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai, released last week, while Dhoom 2 and Guru, both starring the couple, are awaiting release over the next few weeks.

Emphasising his role as brand ambassador of IIFA, Bachchan said, "I have come to talk about it, propagate the movement. It is good for the film industry and good for India. It is good for the host nation. It brings cooperation and brings communities together." He said he was happy that IIFA has been somewhat responsible for increasing interest in Indian cinema outside Indian shores. "I hope it continues, and we want IIFA to grow bigger and greater and bring about coordination and cooperation between the host countries and ours. Hopefully we will see it being quantified in the years to come." Asked about his company ABCL, he said it was "functional and operative."

Superstar Amitabh Bachchan took the British House of Commons by storm as he took centrestage with the announcement of IIFA Awards 2007. The eighth annual International Indian Film Academy Weekend and the IIFA Awards will be hosted in  Yorkshire for four days from June 7, 2007, he announced. Before taking the centrestage of the dining hall of the House of Commons, Bachchan, who was recently conferred a doctorate by Leicester University, had a separate meeting with British Chancellor Gordon Brown who described the Indian actor as "one of the most famous men in the world."

NRI MP and former British minister for Foreign and Commonwealth Office Keith Vaz said he was proud that Leicester University honoured him even before Delhi University, and he was happy France decided to confer the Legion of Honour on him. British Prime Minister Tony Blair, in a message read out by Minister in charge of Culture Tessa Jowell, said he was happy the next IIFA Awards would be held in Yorkshire, and that the two countries were jointly working together to promote Indian films. Present at the gathering were NRI Industrialist and British Ambassador for Overseas Business, Lord Swraj Paul, Indian High Commissioner Kamalesh Sharma, and scores of members of both houses of Parliament.

The IIFA Awards 2007 will consist of an awards ceremony, blockbuster world premiere, film festival, charity fundraising events, film professionals workshop and global trade forum. Tessa Jowell said next year the British Academy of Films and Television Arts would celebrate Amitabh Bachchan's works.

Addressing the packed gathering, Bachchan said it had been a wonderful journey since the launch of IIFA in 2000. He noted that about 50-60 years ago acting in films was not considered an honourable profession and many families in fact disapproved of their children taking to acting. "But today it is a matter of pride that he was being showered with love and affection in this august house," mainly because of the eminence and appreciation Indian films have earned.

Bachchan said, "IIFA is committed to taking Indian cinema across the globe. Cinema brings together people from diverse cultures for a shared experience, bridging the cultural divide. Using cinema as a key to open minds, the International Indian Film Academy believes bridges should be built across cinemas, businesses, communities and nations."

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

9-5-2024 05:26 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.373130 second(s), 42 queries .