CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 4317|Reply: 15

Bride Kidnapping In Central Asia

[Copy link]
Post time 2-8-2009 05:54 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
I know that during Jenghiz Khan's time, the men wiould kidnap brides from another tribe. His mum was kidnapped and so did happen to his wife later on the pretex of revenge for what his dad had done.

Recently, I came to discover that the men of Kyrgyzstan also kidnap their brides, a  tradition that's normal to them. You may read a story from here: http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/kyrgyzstan/thestory.html

Though the tradition was banned by the Russian laws previously, it is coming back. I wonder where else this can be found.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 2-8-2009 07:02 PM | Show all posts
Interesting tradition..
go go go..kidnap her

Use magic Report

Post time 2-8-2009 09:59 PM | Show all posts
bukan kat indon pun ada ke tradisi nih... tu yg budak2 pempuan Malaysia kena kidnap kawin kat indon

Use magic Report

Post time 2-8-2009 10:20 PM | Show all posts
3# astatine
yurp.. kat lombok..

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-8-2009 11:05 PM | Show all posts
I understand it is an old normadic custom where tribes may have lived separately. Instead of inbreeding with their own tribal people which may  be too small in number, they took away the girls from other tribes especially when an amicable arrangement looked impossible.

This tradition is also practised in many Central Asian countries like Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Georgia, Uzbekistan, Chechnya and so on.......all countries which were once part of the Mongol Empire.........

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-8-2009 11:06 PM | Show all posts
bukan kat indon pun ada ke tradisi nih... tu yg budak2 pempuan Malaysia kena kidnap kawin kat indon
astatine Post at 2-8-2009 21:59

Postlah ceritanya.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 3-8-2009 11:26 AM | Show all posts
ader masuk lam mastika pasal lombok kidnap pasangan nih

Use magic Report

Post time 3-8-2009 03:18 PM | Show all posts
hmmm, camner ek nak stori mori pasal ni..
rasanya kat brunei pon ada.. tp tak sure zaman sultan mana tah.. kidnapped bride ni.. tp yg aku tau dan ingat, (dgr dari mulut org tetua jer...)semenjak tu, adat perkahwinan brunei mmg ada tutup2 muka ni..
alah, kalau korang ingat lagi masa perkahwinan Diraja tu, kan ada Pg anak Isteri Sarah , muka dia ditutup dgn kain merah o biru tak silap aku.. tp  bila dah duduk kat pelamin, kain tu akan dibuka.. kiranya mcm tu la.. tak sure bleh masuk kat sini kat tak stori aku nih..

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 4-8-2009 12:19 AM | Show all posts
7# JulietTheOrange
I found something about Lombok (by xuessium):

Lombok is home to the Sasak Muslims and they are considerably much more conservative compared to the Balinese (who are incidentally Hindus) just next door.
[The island's inhabitants are 85% Sasak (a people, closely related to the Balinese, but mostly practising Islam), 10-15% Balinese, with the small remainder being Chinese, Arab, Javanese, and Sumbawanese]

Unlike the Muslims in general, the Sasak in Northern and west Lombok have a caste system. There are four caste castes, the highest being Datu for men and Denek Bini for women, the second Raden for men, and Denda for women, the third Buling and the fourth Jajar Karang. In Central and East Lombok, Lalu for men and Lale for women.

Religion, that is, Islam is a driving force as a way of life and the Sasaks are pious Muslims. Me & my mate invited our waiter to sit down at our table (us being the only customer anyway) and had a good chat with him and me & my mate realised that while the people on Lombok wanted progress, they wanted none of the debauchery that usually comes along with it. They greatly treasure family life and many locals having sought and received their fortunes elsewhere, will usually return to their true home eventually. ...................................

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-8-2009 12:21 AM | Show all posts
Now their marriage customs (by xuessium):

Very lucky to encounter a Lombok-style wedding. Great photography opportunities!! Was really puzzled why the bride was not smiling at all!

Young couples in Lombok have a choice of three marriage rituals; an arranged marriage, a union between cousins and elopement. The first two are uncomplicated: parents of the prospective bridal couple meet to discuss the bride's dowry and sort out any religious differences. Having handled the business arrangements, the ceremony called "Sorong Serah" is performed.

The third method is far more complicated and dramatic. Theoretically a young girl is forbidden to marry a lower caste man, but this rule can be broken through "kidnapping" and "eloping" and thus still is a widespread practice on Lombok, despite the fact that in most instances, the parents of the couple know what's afoot. Originally it was used to elude other competitors for the girl's hand or to avoid family friction, but it also minimised the heavy expenses of a wedding ceremony. The laid down rules of this ritual must be followed step by step. After the girl is spirited away by the boy, he is to report to the Kepala Desa (Village Chief). The Kepala Desa then notifies the girl's family through their village head. A delegation from the boy's family visits the girl's parent, and between them they settle on a price for the bride, a fine (uang adat) which is distributed among members of the bride's family in recompense for losing her.

Traditional dowries are worked out according to the caste differences; the lower his caste and the higher hers, the more he has to pay. Once settled the wedding begins. Generally the bride and the groom are dressed in ceremonial clothes, carried through the village's street, accompanied with sounds of traditional music (gamelan) mingled with the shouts and laughters of the guests as the couple are swooped up and down and around on their way to the wedding place. Throughout the whole ceremony, the bride must look downcast and unhappy at the prospect of leaving her family (Lightbulb!!).

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-8-2009 12:40 AM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by hamizao at 4-8-2009 00:43

I only know posting the url. Please help if you know how to do a better posting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIYG8adhNiw&feature=channel

Use magic Report

Post time 16-12-2019 01:24 AM | Show all posts
I met this bride at  international dating sites and she is really very kind and smart. I was confused by the news she was kidnaped in Central Asia. Maybe someone knows her faith? I would like to meet her and help with anything she needs. I was kidnaped in my childhood, so i know how it is and what print it leaves on your mental health.

Use magic Report

Post time 16-12-2019 07:18 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Budaya bangsa babu, bangsa hamba abdi

Use magic Report

Post time 16-12-2019 07:21 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
astatine replied at 2-8-2009 01:59 PM

Lombok bangsa babu guna sihir. Kalau tidak siapalah nak kawin bangsa lembik 2B miskin hina

Use magic Report

Post time 16-12-2019 07:21 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Bride kidnapping is a slave race tradition

Use magic Report

Post time 19-12-2019 10:34 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
reddots replied at 3-8-2009 03:18 PM
hmmm, camner ek nak stori mori pasal ni..
rasanya kat brunei pon ada.. tp tak sure zaman sultan man ...

Menarik ni. Klu x keberatan dan boleh share cerita lah. Nak dgr juga ni. Thanks

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

24-5-2024 11:15 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.255987 second(s), 46 queries .