Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 3047|Reply: 13

Teen Mental Health: How to Know When Your Child Needs Help

[Copy link]
Post time 28-10-2023 10:30 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Chicredwine at 28-10-2023 10:41 AM

Pressures teens face:
Youth mental health expert raised concerns about the extreme pressures on children and teens throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Yet the lingering effects of school closures and other COVID-related stressors are not the only factors in teen stress. Many young people are also dealing with:

- Overwhelming pressure to figure out their future, get good grades or gain admission to elite colleges and universities

- The need to be superstars in sports, the performing arts or other extracurriculars

- Tough schedules that don't allow enough time for rest, relaxation and unstructured fun

- Bullying (whether in person, via social media or both)

- Persistent fears about climate change, global conflict and other weighty issues

- Discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation​, weight, religion, disability or other factors

- Problems related to a poverty or lack of money for safe, stable housing and enough nutritious food.

Signs your teen may be having mental health difficulties:
In addition to more overt symptoms like mood swings, irritability, anger and tearfulness, you may see:

- Notable changes in sleep, weight, eating habits or other everyday patterns

- Loss of interest in the things they usually love or quitting activities that they enjoy

- Withdrawing more than usual from friends, family and community

- Canceling plans with their closest friends with little or no explanation

- Academic struggles that seem different or more intense: for example, failing quizzes in their favorite subject or refusing to do homework that once would have seemed easy

- Running thoughts or worries that won't leave them alone

- A whole new set of friends you've never met before

- Refusing to talk about what's bothering them, even after you've made it as safe as possible to discuss hard issues openly

- Obsession with a certain goal, possibly with the belief that if they don't achieve it, their life will never be the same

- Signs of drug, alcohol or other substance use

- Signs of self-harm such as cuts, burns, bruises, etc. that your teen tries to hide or can't explain fully and credibly

- Sexual activity or interest that seems new or more intense than before

Keep in mind that having just one symptom on this list doesn't mean your teen is experiencing a full-blown crisis. Biological changes, including the hormone shifts all tweens and teens go through, can affect your child's mood, school performance and more. But if you consistently see one or more of these signs, it's time to open a conversation about mental health with your teen.

Young people face pretty much the same array of mental health challenges that adults do. However, these are the most common mental health conditions seen in U.S. tweens and teens:

- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder(ADHD) affects nearly 10% of all U.S. kids aged 3 to 17.

- Nearly 9.5% experience anxiety that interferes with their everyday functioning.

- Around 4.5% live with depression. In teens, depression may or may not look like the stereotyped tearful blues. Symptoms of depression can sometimes look more like anger/irritability.

How can I open conversations with my child?
Here are some points to consider as you open the door to discussing your teen's mental health. Ideally, this should be a a series of ongoing conversations and "check ins" that you have with your child. This can help support your child's mental health and also give you a foundation for times your child may be struggling more and need more problem-focused support.

- Make it safe for your child to discuss tough issues with you. Kids often avoid talking about touchy subjects, especially if they expect to be judged, lectured or punished. If you haven't already made this clear, affirm that your teen can tell you anything. Emphasize that these conversations will take place in a judgment-free zone. Explain that you want to understand what they're going through and provide loving support.

- Resolve to listen more than you speak. Nothing will send your teen running the other way faster than failing to see and hear them fully. You will need to manage your own fears during the conversation so you can avoid autobiographical listening. This happens when you filter everything through your own life lens instead of listening for deep understanding.

- Consider ways to avoid putting your teen on the defensive. Naturally, you can't be sure how they will react when you ask about their mental health. But fair, factual statements are usually best. Instead of saying, "You've been acting really strange these past few weeks," you could start with an example: "I noticed you hate coming down to dinner lately – and you don't seem hungry at other times. I wondered if something in your life is making it hard for you to enjoy stuff you usually love, like my killer oatmeal cookies."

- Accept some silence. Your child might not know what to say at first, especially if they've been trying to hide how they're feeling or manage things on their own. People having mental health struggles often feel shame and fear on top of everything else. This can make it hard to open up to anyone (even someone they trust). Explain that even though you're worried, you can wait for them to think about what they'd like you to know. If they don't come back to you on their own, try restarting the conversation in a few days.

- Realize that mental health stigma still exists. Despite much progress, some people still believe that having a mental health condition means someone is broken, untrustworthy or potentially violent. In fact, many don't seek mental health treatment because they're afraid of what others will think of them. If you're concerned about the harm stigma can do to your teen, this article may help.

What to remember about mental health​ as you move forward:
- Mental health is a key part of human health. Parents and teens do not need to feel ashamed or fearful in seeking treatment. It's no different from getting care for a broken bone, a serious infection or any other major health concern.

- Try not to blame yourself for your child's struggles. Life is hard, and kids are doing the best they can to manage the pressures they face (just as you are, too). Show compassion for yourself and your child as you move forward.

- Even if you have a history of mental health issues yourself, you are not the root cause of your child's difficulties. Showing love, trust and respect for yourself and your teen is the healthiest way to ensure you both find the resources you need.

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/teen/Pages/Mental-Health-and-Teens-Watch-for-Danger-Signs.aspx

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 28-10-2023 10:44 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-10-2023 10:46 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts

I cried buckets every time I listen to this song. Because I could feel my daughter through this song. How could I not blame myself for what I have put her through?

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 30-10-2023 10:25 AM | Show all posts
Chicredwine replied at 28-10-2023 10:46 AM
I cried buckets every time I listen to this song. Because I could feel my daughter through this so ...

iya?
hopefully, your doter is getting better and happier. Take things easy and talk often ok.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-10-2023 05:39 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
adila39 replied at 30-10-2023 10:25 AM
iya?
hopefully, your doter is getting better and happier. Take things easy and talk often ok.

She self harms. Kelar2 tangan. Dah sorok semua benda tajam but she bought a box cutter and hides it very discreetly. Psychiatrist kata dia tak reti label her emotions. What is happy? Sad? Interesting? Angry?But she is definitely depressed and lack of focus. Dr kata macam high functioning ADHD. She’s on medication right now. Trying to calm her nerves before we try to help her to switch self harming into something more positive. Thank you for listening and well wishes.. I really appreciate it.

Use magic Report

Post time 30-10-2023 08:40 PM | Show all posts
Edited by blakejosh at 30-10-2023 08:55 PM

I appreciate you sharing this valuable information about teen mental health. Parents and caregivers must be aware of the challenges our young ones face, especially in today's world. The pressures they encounter can be overwhelming, and recognizing the signs of mental health difficulties is essential.It's important not to blame yourself as a parent for your child's struggles. Life is challenging, and everyone is doing their best. Compassion for both yourself and your child is the way forward.Thank you for sharing this information and for those who may need it, the anxiety hotline  can be a valuable resource for seeking support.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 30-10-2023 08:43 PM | Show all posts
Edited by MartinBrakerson at 30-10-2023 08:45 PM

Thanks for info.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-10-2023 10:14 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
blakejosh replied at 30-10-2023 08:40 PM
I appreciate you sharing this valuable information about teen mental health. Parents and caregivers  ...

You’re most welcome. One big step is to stop denying that our child needs help. Thank you for reminding me to have compassion not only for my child, but also for myself. Moms always forget and forgo their one self-love..

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 30-10-2023 11:10 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
MartinBrakerson replied at 30-10-2023 08:43 PM
Thanks for info.

You’re welcome…

Use magic Report

Post time 31-10-2023 08:15 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Morning TT,

First thing u cannot blame for urself for what ur daughter turned out, instead focus on how to be the best support system to her. ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder. Best thing u could do is to learn more about ADHD and seek support from other parents who are going through the same thing.

Take care of ur self, your mental health and Im sure you will able to cope up. U can do this..and you are not the only one..so I hope and pray you will always have the strong will and happy.

Hugs

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-10-2023 08:40 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
adila39 replied at 31-10-2023 08:15 AM
Morning TT,

First thing u cannot blame for urself for what ur daughter turned out, instead focus o ...

Good morning. You are truly very understanding and inspirational. Thank you so much. Hugs to you too

Use magic Report

Post time 2-11-2023 10:27 AM | Show all posts
Chicredwine replied at 31-10-2023 08:40 AM
Good morning. You are truly very understanding and inspirational. Thank you so much. Hugs to you t ...

most welcome, jangan lupa get as many as possible info about ADHD, every child is different and try focus on teaching her one thing at a time. I know will not be easy but with your effort, I am sure your daughter will manage her symptoms, occasionally. Good luck and stay positive.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-11-2023 10:31 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
adila39 replied at 2-11-2023 10:27 AM
most welcome, jangan lupa get as many as possible info about ADHD, every child is different and tr ...

InsyaAllah..

Use magic Report

Post time 6-11-2023 06:21 PM | Show all posts
You've touched on incredibly vital points regarding teen mental health. The multifaceted pressures they face can significantly impact their well-being, leading to stress that, if unaddressed, may manifest as symptoms akin to those associated with various mental health conditions, including what was historically referred to as neurosis.
Parents and caregivers should be vigilant, observing changes in behavior, mood, or social patterns. It's essential to foster open communication, ensuring teens feel safe to express their concerns. For more in-depth information and resources, visiting fherehab.com can offer guidance on professional support and next steps. Thanks for initiating such a meaningful discussion on teen mental health awareness.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Category: Kesihatan

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

29-4-2024 12:06 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.100614 second(s), 42 queries .