Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 1631|Reply: 0

~~~The Fear of Death~~~

[Copy link]
Post time 6-1-2016 03:44 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
~~~The Fear of Death~~~

"Life is uncertain, death is certain." ~Buddha
Once life is launched, like a bullet it must reach destination, which is death. All of us have to face this inevitable, natural phenomenon whether we like it or not. The sooner this truth is accepted, the better we will be able to direct our lives for a good purpose. Actually, we are disturbed not so much by death itself, but by the wrong view we hold of it. Death in itself is not that terrible; what is terrible is the fear of death that prevails in the mind.
Our life-span is controlled by our biological clocks which are continuously ticking away. When they run out, sooner or later, there is little we can do to gain extra time. Once our time is up, we must be prepared to go through the natural process of death.
A veteran nurse once said, ' It has always seemed to me a major tragedy that so many people go through life haunted by the fear of death- only to find when it finally comes that it is as natural as life itself. For few we are afraid to die when they get to very end. In all my experience,only one seemed to feel any terror- a woman who had done her sister a wrong which was too late to set right.'
'Something strange and beautiful happens to men and women when they come to the end of the road. All fear, all horror disappear. I have often watched a look of happy wonder dawn in their eyes when they realise this is true. It is all part of the goodness of nature.'
As a famous physician, Sir William Oslet puts it, 'In my wide clinical experience, most human beings die really without pain and fear.'
Coming to Terms with Death
All human beings, irrespective of sex, or race, creed, will have to come to terms with death. There is no alternative escape. Death is an inevitable process of this world. It is not often that we are brave enough to come to face with the thought of our own morality. Yet, man is not free in life unless he is also free from the fear of death.
It is hard to bear the loss of people whom we love because of our attachment to them. This happened to Vishakha a well-known lady devotee during the time of Buddha. When she lost her beloved grand daughter she visited the Buddha to seek advice in her sorrow.
'Vishakha, would you like to have as many sons and grandsons as there are children in this town? Asked the Buddha. 'Yes, Sir, I would indeed!'
'But how many children die daily in this town?'
'Several, Sir. The town is never free from children dying,Sir.'
'Then, Vishakha, in such a case would you cry for all of them? Vishakha, those who have a hundred things beloved, they have a hundred sorrows. He who has nothing beloved has no sorrow. Such a persons are free from sorrow.'
When we developed attachment, we also must be prepared to pay the price of sorrow when separation takes place.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

7-5-2024 02:12 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.048951 second(s), 27 queries .