CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 3012|Reply: 0

Step-by-Step: Installing MySQL on a Windows Webserver

[Copy link]
Post time 23-2-2004 04:10 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
MySQL is oftentimes used with PHP.  This is popular because both pieces of software work very well together and are both free.  You must first install MySQL before you install PHP.  This is because when you install PHP, you will need to provide the path to your installation of MySQL so they can talk to each other.  If you have already installed PHP, uninstall it and then reinstall it after you finish installing MySQL.

Go to mysql.com

Click on "Downloads".

Under "MySQL database server & standard clients" select the "Production release".  This is the most current and stable version available.  Don't choose the alpha releases.  In this case, MySQL 4.0 is the most stable version.

Scroll down to "Windows downloads".  You want the one that has the installer built into it.  Click on "Pick a Mirror".

You can either fill out their survey or just go directly to the mirror by choosing that link.

Pick a mirror that is closest to your geographic location and download and save the file to your computer.  The file I downloaded was called "mysql-4.0.13-win.zip".  Double-click on the file to begin installation.  You may need to further click on a "setup.exe" file to begin installation.

You'll see this welcome screen.  Click "Next".

More information about this release.  Click "Next".

Now you can choose where to install the MySQL files.  Default is fine.  Click "Next".

Here you choose which kind of installation you want.  For what we need, we can just use the "Typical" installation.  Click "Next".

Installation will begin.

When installation is complete, you'll see this.  Click "Finish".

The installation window closes.  Now what?  You'll see that there are no icons on your desktop, tool tray, or even start menu!  What the?

Turns out you have to manually dig into this thing.  Using Windows Explorer, go to C:\mysql\bin.  Double-click on "WinMySQLadmin.exe"  You'll see this a window flash up, then minimize itself.  It'll leave a small stoplight icon in the system tray.

Click on the stoplight icon and choose "show me" from the pop up menu.  You'll see this.

We now need to set it up so that WinMySQLadmin starts up with the computer.

Click on the "my.ini Setup" tab.  Click on the "Create ShortCut on Start Menu" button on the lower left side.

You'll get a confirmation.  Click "OK".

Now you can hide the window by clicking "Hide Me" on the main screen.  Or you can right-click the WinMySQLadmin window and choose "Hide Me".  You should see a green stoplight in the tool tray.  Don't click on the "X" in the corner of the window as this closes WinMySQLadmin altogether.

Depending on what your plans are for MySQL, your next step will probably be to install PHP.

This guide here will show you how: Installing PHP on a Windows Webserver

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

4-5-2024 10:53 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.078899 second(s), 26 queries .